Washington DC's National Gallery of Art was based on the private collection of Andrew W. Mellon who donated it in 1937. Mellon selected Amercian architect John Russell Pope to design the building (now known as the West Building) to house the collection.
In 2010, a permanent exhibition the ground floor of the West Building was created to highlight nearly 100 masterpieces of early American furniture and decorative arts from the collection of George and Linda Kaufman, spanning the period of 1700 - 1830.
'The Jewel of Annapolis', construction of the house began in 1774, following an Anglo-Palladian design provided by the renowned architect William Buckland.
A highlight of the decorative arts collection is items created by well-known Annapolis cabinetmaker John Shaw, as well as some of the finest 18th-century furniture to be found in Maryland.
Once the winter home of the Gamble family, Gamble House was designed by Charles and Henry Greene in 1908. Regarded as one of the masterpieces of the Craftsman style, the architects also contributed designs to many of the furnishings. The house is maintained by the USC School of Architecture, and is now used as a study center and a getaway for visiting scholars. The loop of Arroyo Terrace behind Westmoreland Place reveals several other similar bungalows designed by the Greene brothers, during the first decade of the 20th century.