The William and Mary style is influenced from England and the Baroque styles in France and Italy.
- Relief carved elements
- Intricate but heavy wood turnings
- Woven cane seats – later leather with brass nails
- First Asian elements introduced
- Finishes of paint, oil varnished, wax over stain, ebonized (black japanning) were common
- Dove tail joint is introduced
- Burl veneers and inlays are common
- Woods were walnut, mahogany, and maple
Here are a few examples of William and Mary furniture. Click on any image to zoom in.