Aesthetic Style argued that there need not be a useful or practical purpose to art “Art for Arts Sake" was the slogan of the time.
- Simple lines
- Natural inlays, marquetry, and cloisonne
- Decoration asymmetrical
- Simple but bright colors of blue, green, and yellow interior colors were used to decorate the dark
- Furniture was ebonized with gilt highlights
- Strong Far Eastern influence
- Prominent use of natural elements such as flowers, birds, ginkgo leaves, and peacock feathers
Here are a few examples of Aesthetic Style furniture. Click on any image to zoom in.
View Member Made Aesthetic Style pieces from our Gallery >
< Back - American Period Furniture Timeline