Pembroke Table Leg Beading

nimetzrj

I am in the process of drawing up my plans for a Pembroke table that I have taken pictures and measurements of. In going over the measurements and photos I noticed that the corner beads on the legs are tapered from 1/4" at the top of the leg to 1/8" at the bottom.  Attached is a photo of the table.

I want to accomplish this bead with hand tools only. I was thinking of marking the top of the leg 1/4" and the bottom at 1/8", then secure a scrap piece of wood on the marks. Using a 1/4" scratch stock  follow the scrap piece of wood to produce the tapered bead. Is there any other ways of accomplishing this task?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0658_1.JPG
    IMG_0658_1.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 85
Yes, use a board for fence; but I'd start with a 1/8" scratch, make the initial bead the entire length. Then I'd angle the fence for the 1/8-1/4" bead and make a second pass with the 1/8" scratch.

Pam

Pam;

Thanks for the info. I will try that method on a scrap piece of wood. I may have a concern about using a 1/8" scratch for the entire length. When I move the fence over to the mark for the 1/4" bead and use a 1/4" scratch will I be left with a indentation in the finished bead near the top from the 1/8" scratch pin?

Rich

I have reproduced this style of leg by making a scratch stock that scrapes the profile from the center of the leg (at it’s widest point) to the edge.
Taper the leg making it ¼” wider at the bottom than the finished dimension. Running this profile down the length of each side of the tapered blank will produce the tapering raised section in the center of the leg.  The bead on the scratch stock produces a 1/4” bead the entire length. After completing the profile use a hand plane to remove the balance of the taper to each side of the leg (0 at the top, to 1/8” at the bottom) this step cuts away the bead from the outside leaving a clean inside line at the fillet between the bead and the hollow. The outside of the bead is then rounded and blended with a quarter radius scratch stock or a file and a card scraper.  This sounds harder than it really is.
I hope it is helpful.

Ken Heiser

Attachments

• scratch stock.pdf
    1.9 KB · Views: 19
Back