Master Craftsmen of Newport

I have a copy of MCofN. I willing to have it professionally disassembled.copied,and reassembled, and made available to our members at cost. Anybody interested? I'm willing to supply the book,somebody else will have to handle the hands on parts.(you know,legality aspects,contacting a printer,etc)  Ed Griner

I believe there is a digital photograhic process for this. The book doesn't need to be disassembled and would them be in a digital format for dvd. Still doesn't answer the  legal part
Mike

I would be very interested if the cost was not prohibitive.

Once again, I have to wonder- why wouldn't a publisher do a second printing of a book if the demand for it has driven it's price to this level.  What was the original price for it in 1984- $75-100?

I purchased my copy at the Kaufman exhibit in Washington for less than $75.  The woman in the shop said she couldn't sell them. 

I bought mine at the gift store/book shop at Winterthur in the mid 80's  Paid $100 for it and thought I was nuts.  But I've gotten way more than a hundred dollars worth out of it and wouldn't part with it for anything!

I think it was in early eighties, probably around 1982 or 1983.  The collection was in the Smithsonian.  It was, at the time, a very expensive gift to myself.  A woodworker in addition to good tools needs an understanding wife. Some of the tools are gone, but I still have the book and the wife.  H. Baron

Ed,

I would definitely be interested in a professional copy of the book.  I made a copy from a book that I borrowed from a library just using a copy machine.  I took the book to a local copy shop to have them make color copies of the color plates.  They asked me if the copy was for "personal use" and that I was not attempting to sell it.  They were willing to copy it for me.  I am not sure how that would extend to making several copies.  My wife is a lawyer...although not someone who deals with copyright law.  I will see if she can find out if it would be legal to copy the book for multiple people.

Brian

I would also be very interested in a professional copy, especially if the price was reasonable.  Like Brian, I have photocopied several pages, but mine are plain old black and white.

Calvin Hobbs

I spoke to my wife about copying the books and she told me that the only legal way was to get the permission of the publisher or the author.  I did some research on the web and could not find a way to contact the publisher (Americana Press).  I did however get contact information for Michael Moses and sent him an email asking for permission.  Not sure if it will happen but I will keep you posted.  My wife said that if he did grant permission it would most likely be for a limited number of copies.  I also asked him if there was a plan to release another printing of the book given the demand.

Brian

Brian,

This seems to be the right way to go about doing this.  If you do get permission for  making copies and the numbers are right, please add me to your list.

Thanks,

Jeff

I think I first heard about MCON in Jeffrey Greene's American Furniture but I've never actually seen a copy of the book.  I love all things G&T and judging from what everyone says it must be a great book

But my question is this -- What is it about this book that is worth a $1000?  I assume it has lots of history, discussion of the fine points (as Albert Sack might say) and photos but so do several other books.  The only thing I can imagine is that it has a lot of measured drawings.

I'm not against paying that much for a book but what does a $1000 get you?

Has there been any progress in obtaing permission to copy this book? There is a company next door to where I work that invented a machine for doing just that. I can also get a copy of the book from RIT to have reproduced.

If someone is able to obtain permission I will look into the reproduction cost.

Back