Hardware question

wallysandcrab

I will soon be installing chippendale pulls/backplates in an oxbow chest.  The pulls will be installed on a curved surface.  In order to get the flanges of the bail posts to seat cleanly the posts would have to be bored square to the face...i.e. the holes and the posts would be non-parallel and would point toward each other slightly.  This kinda throws off the way the bail sits in the post holes.

That's how you do it, right?  And then bend the bail to accomodate?

Thanks

JD

Fit the posts as you describe, but if you bend the bail to match the curvature, then, unless the holes in the posts are ugly-big or the pintels are ultra short, the bail will not pivot because as the bail is lifted, the pintels rotate and point in the opposite direction.

Although not perfectly aligned with the holes in the posts, you'd be better off leaving the bail unaltered: There's more chance of it pivoting smoothly in the stock post holes.

Most, if not all, period posts do not have a wide flange below the head where the hole for the bail is bored, so the angle is not a factor. I can't remember seeing period posts at an angle, although I'm sure they're out there somewhere.-Al

Back