"Working Wood" conference at Colonial Williamsburg.

macchips4

Just a little rant......Just received a "Can't wait to see you" email from the Williamsburg Lodge....They list a $15 per day self-parking fee!!!! What else would you do with a car for 3-4 days? should I tip myself for parking the car?
What's next a daily towel fee? an in-person check in fee? How about a greeting fee? Use of hallway or main entrance fee? fee for use of elevator? could stay out side Williamsburg for far less...Ever since "Autograph Collection" took over the Lodge it has turned into a corporate looking "resort" no longer are the furnishings related to CW...18th century style furnishings..........Next year maybe stay at Woodlands, $200 and get breakfast!.....Or outside at a bid hotel chain....... .......Yea.. I don't like change !!! That's it I'm done ranting......

Just a little rant......Just received a "Can't wait to see you" email from the Williamsburg Lodge....They list a $15 per day self-parking fee!!!! What else would you do with a car for 3-4 days? should I tip myself for parking the car?
What's next a daily towel fee? an in-person check in fee? How about a greeting fee? Use of hallway or main entrance fee? fee for use of elevator? could stay out side Williamsburg for far less...Ever since "Autograph Collection" took over the Lodge it has turned into a corporate looking "resort" no longer are the furnishings related to CW...18th century style furnishings..........Next year maybe stay at Woodlands, $200 and get breakfast!.....Or outside at a bid hotel chain....... .......Yea.. I don't like change !!! That's it I'm done ranting......
Yikes! I was there in December and there was no extra charge for parking...must be a (brand) new thing. Mind you, we stayed at Woodlands (they were the only place offering single-night reservations) but the parking pass covered parking at the Lodge. I chose the Woodlands again for the conference...not as nice as the other hotels but I've always enjoyed the early morning stroll to the museum.

I agree about the change in furnishings at the Lodge being a poor choice.

Yikes! I was there in December and there was no extra charge for parking...must be a (brand) new thing. Mind you, we stayed at Woodlands (they were the only place offering single-night reservations) but the parking pass covered parking at the Lodge. I chose the Woodlands again for the conference...not as nice as the other hotels but I've always enjoyed the early morning stroll to the museum.

I agree about the change in furnishings at the Lodge being a poor choice.
When I contacted the lodge and compared them to the Woodlands...they said "but the Woodlands charge a $10 resort fee...We (Lodge) don't...Plus the parking fee has been "negotiated" down to $10...so that compares to the resort fee.....But the woodlands includes breakfast I said....Reply: no answer... .....Still aggravates.....just seems like "nickel and dimeing" the Conference Attendees...If it snows will they dig the car out?...my luck no......

I was wondering if anyone else was getting a little frustrated with things like this happening down there. We stayed in a colonial house (struggled with the updated pricing, but it has been our tradition...) $20 resort fee each night which was pretty much just parking (and not valet either). Not to mention the room was more expensive too. We liked being able to walk over, but at a certain point it's just not worth it.

I also missed the first coffee break each day. Plus, paying $3.50 was kind of sticking it to us. You know it's bad when starbucks sounds like a deal.

Overall, I'm really glad that the marquetry talks were very informative because the rest of it let me down.

Wirelessrpm, I find I spend very little time in the room when at this conference so I generally go with a low price option. I also went alone so didn't have anyone else to consider.

Overall, the marquetry talks were the least relevant to me (I focus on periods prior to Neoclassical) but I still enjoyed them and was glad for them. Frank is an excellent craftsman and that's inspiring even if I won't be doing marquetry. Maybe it'll inspire me to find a cheap fret saw and try making a patera or two (I would enjoy doing so with shop-sawn veneer, as he did). I wasn't let down by any of the sessions. In the weeks since I've spent the most time considering Jerome Bias' presentation (even though I find Empire tough to like).

Mark Maleski

I stayed at the lodge for the conference and was not charged for parking. There was a discussion regarding Williamsburg charging for parking on site in response to William and Mary students using the facility’s parking to avoid paying on campus.
I am really disappointed that SAPFM no longer holds their conference here.

Back