Woodworking School of the Shenandoah - First class

Bob Mustain

Jeff Headley and Steve Hamilton completed the first class of their new venture last week and I wanted to let SAPFM members know that it was a real success.  Under Jeff and Steve's watchful eyes three of us left on Friday evening with nearly complete tables with only minimal clean up and finishing to do at home.  The work included veneering the drawers, fine line inlay and inlayed shells on the tops and included all the normal stock preparation and joinery.

Several things set this class apart from others I've attended.  This is a working furniture shop and Steve and Jeff spend most of their time filling orders for custom furniture as their website demonstrates.  They spent much of their teaching time demonstrating how they get the work done in the most time efficient, effective ways with a mix of power tools and hand craftsmanship.  Their approach is very effective.  The shop was founded by Jeff's grandfather and the collection of tools and patterns is a treat in itself.  There are other surprises as well.  Lunches are served in Jeff's mother's home on the property, circa 1740, and it holds a breathtaking collection of antiques and works by three generations of Headley's including her own spectacular tole painted pieces.  The entire experience was rewarding.

Jeff and Steve are working on a schedule for next year which will, hopefully, be ready by the Williamsburg yearly meeting.  I look forward to going back and I recommend it to any SAPFM member as well worth the time and cost.

Back