Woodworking in America Winston-Salem

Mo Yarborough

Woo-hoo!  Just found out that WIA is going to be held this year in my Hometown!  And it seems Old Salem and MESDA are going to be featured with events during WIA!  This is going to be great!  The event is to be held at Benton Convention Center (I once was a Special Event Producer for RJR Tobacco International and we did many events at Benton, it's a great venue!). 

If I can be of assistance to SAPFM before and during this event, let me know..I would love to help out! 

Mo,
We have had a booth at every WIA save the first one at Berea and Pasadena. We run the Hand Tool Olympics and have demonstrations and a gallery of furniture. While it is close to you it is a bit farther for us so we are debating our role (Hand Tool Olympics) due to travel costs from Minnesota. ORV chapter had been doing the demos and gallery but with the move you may end up in charge!!

Mike, I don't know about the "Being-in-charge" part of the planning...I haven't been in charge of much
for awhile, except feeding the chickens, cutting wood, paying the bills, and cooking!!  However, like I
mentioned to Tom Sears, I joined SAPFM to learn, and to be a willing participant in extending it's growth
in North Carolina.  We have so many very good woodworkers and furniture makers who are not members.
It is great to know that WIA is coming to Winston-Salem!  My Son and his family live just two blocks from
Old Salem, and Benton Convention Center is within a few more blocks.  So being there in advance and during
the event is no problem.

If I am asked to assist, please provide information soon, I will help in whatever way is deemed within my scope
of knowledge and talent.  My plate is filling up fast for the year.

Thanks, Mo

Mike Siemsen, just read a great article/conversation with you in a e-newsletter from Popular Woodworking today by Dan Farnbach.  Nice!!! 

Before heading off to Campbell Folk School in Brasstown next week for Moulding Plane class with Willard (Bill) Anderson and Peter Ross, I wanted to share some great news for the SAPFM Booth.  Woodworking in America is providing SAPFM with a 10' x 40' Booth for demonstrations and displays of Members' Work.  Jerome Bias of Old Salem and co-chair of Carolina Backcountry Chapter put me in touch with Will Myers who is graciously donating 2 or possibly 3 of his Moravian Workbenches for us to use in the booth.  Will teaches classes at Roy Underhill's Woodwright School, including how to build this great Moravian Workbench. 

Here is a link to Will's class and bench:  http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/wMyers/wMyers-index.asp

We need a few more demonstrating volunteers and finished Members' work for our booth display.  The Marketplace at WIA will be open Friday September 12 from 8:30am - 6:00pm and Saturday September 13  9:00am - 6:00pm

Back