woodfiller

I have a  tool chest that has a small amount of termite damage to the bottom boards. Would like to repair with a type of filler that would stabilize the damaged parts.I have heard of some type of filler that requires two part that are mixed that form a bond with the wood, but I can't think of the source. Any suggestions?

There is a proprietary product called Git Rot that is sold in the marine business for stabilizing rotted wood. I suggest you do a Google search and read reviews before just using it.

There are conflicting claims about the amount of "penetration" such a product actually achieves.

If I were doing the repair, and did not want to fit a graving piece which would be my first choice, I would probably use a two-part epoxy such as West System filled with some sort of extender to make it easier to use and also to fair up.  Sawdust of the same species as your chest would be one choice.

I have no connection to either of the above brands.

Karl

I'm not sure I would use it on furniture, but there is a product called RotFix, which is a very thin two-part epoxy that really seems to soak into the wood. I have used it on outside windowsills and such with good results. It's available at many places, including woodcraft.

I repaired boats in the pasted also and used Abatron, a product made for rotted wood. Basically does the same thing as the other products mentioned.And a little easier to use than the West System.  Randy 

I think it is important to realize that, whilst all of us mention repairing rotten wood, I believe it is safe to say that none of these products actually have much effect on wood that is rotted, but remains in place.  I think it is best to consider them as suitable to fill irregular voids - but ONLY after all traces of rotten wood are removed down to good wood.

I was involved in litigation where an owner poured some such product on the top end of a rotterd out mooring post, on a boat ;  a vertical post that runs from the deck down through the hull and is set into the keel. and then was surprised when, as he was being towed off of a sandbar, the post broke off below the deck level as the rot had eaten away the whole top half of the post.

I would advise taking claims that the products reclaim rotted wood very lightly.

Karl

Back