Wood filler

Ademers

I am looking for a wood filler that is can use on a carving.  I have used famowood before and it does not receive stain/finish well.  The wood is mahogany.  Thanks

I've used Quickwood which is a wood repair epoxy putty (available at Woodcraft). It comes in a few different color shades. I've used the dark version to repair mahogany. However, it doesn't take a stain or dye. Can you repair your carving by gluing in some wood and carving it to conform to the surrounding detail? This is likely your best choice.

Mickey

Thanks it would be tricky to glue in a piece. It a Newport shell and while carving the scroll some chips occurred. Any advice?

I use a two part filler similar to auto body filler. Mine is mahogany colored. Then I mix powder touch-up dyes in shellac to color the patch the same color as the stain/finished wood.

Dennis Bork

I use a hide glue and saw dust mix to fill small holes.  It helps to dampen the base before applying so all the moisture is not drawn out.  It works really good in cracks, but no so well when attempting to build up or sculpt onto an existing piece.  May not be useful in your case.

Ken

Back