Why, why, why?

wallysandcrab

I greet you now.

I saw a photo of a blockfront case with thumbnail moulded lipped drawers.  Somebody here must have seen a piece like this.  Any of you guys ever try to do it?  It looks infernally difficult to get the lip to overlay the blade when the blade is shaped like it is.  Am I missing something here?  Why would a cabinetmaker do this to himself?

Thanks

JD

John, There are several blockfront pieces shown in Moses Master Craftsmen of Newport that have what they describe as "flush quarter round lipped drawers."  They look a little odd I think and I'd also think they'd be very difficult to make.  And I dont understand their use of the word flush in describing a lipped drawer! (There's a lot I don't understand!)Al Breed. Help!
John McA.

Or this one:

Surely involuntary commitment is called for in such cases.

Attachments

• 9 shell chest on chest.jpg
    9 shell chest on chest.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 103
Johnny- The ones with lipped blocked draws were made in Providence by a non-Goddard or Townsend maker. He also made the lid out of one piece, so you can see where he was coming from.....Al    Why indeed?

Al: does the draw lip actually lip onto the blade such that the backside of the draw face must be rabetted to follow the blade?

JD

Johnny,

I hate to be the one to hold back the class, but I thought the lips on the 9 shell secretary were fastened to the drawer opeinigs, not the drawers themselves.

Am I misunderstanding the terminology ?

Karl

Is this the lip on the block front drawer that you are referring too?

Attachments

• Blockfrontdrawer.jpg
    Blockfrontdrawer.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 107
The picture David Boeff put up looks great. I saw some pictures where the lip is just rounded over; no fillet; looks funny. Either would be difficult for me to make. John McAlister

Johnny,

I get it now;  I mistakenly thought you might be referring to cockbeading which I believe I have seen attached to either the drawer of the case.

Apologies for the distraction.

Karl

Johnny,
I was not that difficult, I used a 1/4" round-over with fillet to start it, but stopped short of the inside corner. That has to be carved.

Attachments

• bostonblockfront.jpg
    bostonblockfront.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 69
  • bostonblockfront.jpg
    bostonblockfront.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 39
I guess part of my point is that a  piece like that is difficult enough, and it would vastly simplify (in my amateur opinion) the process by making the drawers flush and cockbead the openings.  It also looks better that way (imho).  I was really thinking of the hand tool approach.  If I had to do it, I'd be thinking router table or nothing.

DB: I didn't quite understand your description of how you did it.  You used a roundover to make a rabbet?

JD

Johnny,
            I used a straight bit to cut out most of the rabbet from the back of the drawer front and pare to the line with chisel, this created the 1/4" piece that I could round over and carve.

Attachments

• drawerfront.jpg
    drawerfront.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 52
DB:  Let's keep going with this, if you don't mind dragging a big stone along.

How did you transfer the blade shape onto the top edge of the drawer front?  This has to be pretty darn accurate.

JD

Johnny,
    I had a template but each drawer front was final fitted to each drawer blade to handle minor variations.

Back