What's in your Library?

macchips4

I thought I would ask to see what books are to be considered important, which are the favorites and which should be on the "to get" list.Personally I keep seem to be picking up and looking over:
American Furniture by Greene
Queen Ann Furniture by Vandal
Pleasant Hill Shaker Furniture by Pierce
    I have some other, more expensive "coffee table" books (Conneticuit Valley Furniture, Dunlop, McIntire, southern Furniture) and are great to look at to learn the history and variations of different pieces of furniture but those three seem to be able to give me some ideas on ratios and mesurements or joinery ideas.
So as the credit card commercial says:
"Whats in your Library"
Joe

"American Antiques", ten volumes, by israel Sack.  I call them, "the bible books".

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Perioid Designs, Ltd.

Joe,

I think that an answer to your question depends on what your interest area includes, and in what matters you wish to increase your knowledge.

My own experience has been that I found my books needs have changed over time as my focus shifted and my skills improved.

Clearly different books would apply to different styles of furniture and you should match your own interest in that respect.

Some members prefer hand tools and period techniques and others go for whatever is best suited to what they want to accomplish - different books entirely.

Also, some people  feel quite comfortable " designing "  furniture in the general style of a particular piece and then working with the materials they have in hand, whilst others get satisfaction by making an exact copy of a specific piece and each of these might be best served by slightly different books; for example, those that have dimensioned drawings ( I hate the term "measured" drawings) and detailed instructions.

Having said that, I think it is fair to say that anyone will benefit by having available information on the best furniture , and Dennis' set satisfies that criteria and is in my collection. I find the comparison photos in the Sack book of good better best examples quite useful also -I like to think I have actually learned from the comparisons.

Careful reading of this site will show that there are people here representing a wide variety interests in furniture and I doubt that one set of books fits all.

Karl

I agree with Karl, your reading requirements will change with your interests and skills. You might be more specific with your needs at this point. Are you interested in learning more about joinery, or history. do you want books with good photos and shots of interior details? Do you want to know what fiction I like? The books listed are excellent resources.

Karl,
I think the "measured drawings" refers to drawings made from measurements taken from pieces in museums rather than drawings made up and dimensioned regardless of where the design came from.

Mike,

I quite agree with you that the classical meaning of a "measured drawing" was to denote a drawing prepared to capture the configuration of a historically meaningful item; furniture, building,etc.

Sadly - or perhaps I should say "aggrivatingly" to a person trained in mechanical drawing the old fashioned way - it has been hijacked by some of the TV furniture builders to mean any drawing that has dimensions on it;  i.e., send in for a measured drawing  of my latest Queen Anne entertainment center.  That is the application to which I take exception.

Serenity now ...

Karl

Karl,
That is annoying. My suggestion would be to stop watching TV furniture builders!
I am glad you have found serenity.
Mike,
Who wonders what entertainments would have been in Queen Anne's Entertainment Center.

Mike,

Perhaps you are right, but hope springs eternal that if I pay close attention, I will eventually learn how to build almost any piece of furniture in exactly 60 minutes.

Karl

Joe- My feeling is that by now we know the basics of construction, but what's lacking is often good detail photos. Depends on what you like, but for me Mori Heckscher's books are great for photographic details:
"Furniture in the Met. Museum of Art, QA and Chippendale"
"American Rococo"
Also, Brock Jobe and Jerry Ward's books are good on measurements.-Al

I usually make something from my own design based on the need of the customer or the limitations of the space etc.. but have always searched through the books I have for examples that come close and use them as guidelines to get to the final design.
Most of the time it's either of the shaker or queen ann style. But I want to try some in the federal period, inlays, veneer etc. I've done a few repairs of that period and it has peaked that interset and I'm thinking of making a work/sewing table as a furure project. (I keep looking for that 50.00 Mussey book)
  I was wondering what books or references other members considered valuable to them when following thier interests wether it be federal william/mary or just thumbing pages.
Thanks
Joe  

Thanks Al,
I was typing/posting the same time as yourself.
We have met several times at Deerfield and the mid-year meeting, I've always enjoyed your presentations and conversations afterward
Thanks,
Joe 

Don't forget Master craftsmen of Newport by Michael Moses.  It's cheap, only $750 plus used.  I borrowed it from interlibrary loan and might have even zeroxed a page or two.

JD

Perhaps we could divide the subject into three categories:
1.) furniture appreciation
2.) furniture construction
3.) furniture measured drawing books

1.) In furniture appreciation, the following have been important to me:

Furniture Treasury by Wallace Nutting
American Furniture in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Morrison Hecksher
New Fine Points of Furniture, Albert Sack
the 10 sack volumes (takes some work or money to acquire these)
Master Crafstmen of Newport....., Michael Moses.  An extraordinary book.
Hornor's Blue Book
American Furniture at Chipstone, Rodriguez
John Townsend ..... by Morrison Hecksher
2 books on Queen Anne and Chippendale at Winterthur, 1 by J. Downs, other by Richards and Evans
New England Furniture, the Colonial Era, Jobe and Kaye
American Furniture series, Luke Beckerdite, editor ( I am thankful we have people like him)

2.) In the category of books that have helped me learn to build furniture
Jeff Greene's book
Franklin Gottshall's books (I do not vouch for the drawings)
Several FWW compendium type books, viz. Traditional Woodworking Techniques, and Making Period Furniture

3.) Measured drawings

Norm Vandal's book (don't have it, don't know the name)  It seems underrated to me.  When I was starting out this book was a big help, and I still think it's well done.
Construction of American Furniture Treasures, Lester Margon (He, in my judgement, makes up and way overcomplicates internal joinery)
Masterpieces of Furniture, Verna Salomonsky

I'll add a few to the "furniture appreciation/furniture construction" category that are bit off the beaten path, but are pretty much de rigeur for their particular category:

The Furniture of Charleston, 3 volume set by John Bivens & Bradford L Rauschenburg.  If you're interested in Charleston's somewhat unique style in the 18th century (heavily influenced by neo classical at a time when most colonials were building queen anne/chippendale), I would advise getting a set quickly.  It was a fairly small print run, and copies are likely to skyrocket in price fairly soon.

The Furniture of Coastal North Carolina, John Bivens.  This is an expensive book (ca. $750 in excellent shape, though you may be able to find a copy for considerably less if you're patient), but it's pretty much the bible on 18th century NC furniture

Raised Panel Furniture - Also out of print and somewhat pricey, but can be found for mush less than the Furniture of Coastal NC book.  Details a unique furniture form/style (casework and blanket chests) of the tidewater region of Virginia

The Pennsylvania Spice Box:  Paneled Doors and Secret Drawers:  To my knowledge, this book is the only published reference on this furniture form that's pretty much a standard for folks interested in reproducing 18th century furniture.  It is also pricey (around $250 for a copy), but by thumbing through it and reading the chapter on construction, you will quickly realize that the spice box plans that show up in WW magazines bear little resemblance in construction to the real thing.

Al mentioned most books lacking detailed photos.  One source you may check out are the Sotheby and Christie Auction catalogs.  A quick search under American Furniture will bring up auctions and photos of pieces being sold.  Many featured pieces will have quite a few detailed photos as well as some genealogical information which makes the piece even more interesting.

I've picked up quite a few on ebay for $9-$20.  With the clear photos and overall dimensions listed, all it takes is a good vernier caliper and a little algebra to whip up a decent set of working drawings.

Back