What is glazing?

Ty G

I have a couple books where glazing is mentioned.  I have googled it to no avail.  What is glazing? What product is used? And where in the finish schedule is it done?

Many thanks, Ty

Ty,

I suspect you will get a wide variety of answers, but here is mine.

The glaze I think of is not representative of classic authentic traditional wood finishes, but rather is a technique to give the appearance of age by providing some "depth" and subtle shading of the nooks and crannies of a piece. It  can be done using a gel type finish that has some pigment in it - i.e., not clear finish - and consists of wiping on some of the finish over a uniformlay stained and sealed piece and then wiping it "mostly" off which process will leave gentle shading towards darker tones in areas that are somewhat protected from the wiper such a corners, reveals, etc.  That appearance to some peoples taste replicates real  effects of age.

I expect there will be those on both sides of whether to use such an artifice for a finish; I happen to like it because it tends to show the details of carvings, raised panels , etc better than a uniform finish, but that is only one opinion.

Karl

Yes, Karl, that is what I am after.  Would it be done after applying oil/varnish mix and before shellac or lacquer? 

Ty,

I am not sure enough to stick my neck out as I tend to finish most of my pieces with shellac to bring out grain, then pigmented gel stains, then clear gel varnish. Just by the nature of that process, I get some shading in the crevises.

However, Lonnie Bird published a detailed description called " An Antique Finish  for Tiger Maple" in Fine Woodworking,  November/December 2005 and if I were to do a curly maple piece, I would switch to his system. His steps were 1. Raise the Grain, 2. Apply dye, 3. Add luster with Tung  oil,  4. Seal with shellac,  5. Bring out details with glaze.  I believe reprints of that issue are available.

Karl

Generally the glaze is top coated to make it more durable & to seal it. How clean you rub it off can also affect your final color. Use an oil based product to get longer working time.

Glazes are similar to grain fillers, in fact fillers can be used as glazes by thinning slightly.

Tony

I generally consider a glaze to be some type of stain wiped over a finish to add color or to accentuate moldings. Asphaltum is sometimes used for this effect. Glazes are also used in grain painting furniture. There was an article in APF about vinegar paint a while back. They are typically sealed in with a clear coat.
Mike

This is the second time this week that I've heard asphaltum mentioned as a glaze.  Is it a powder or liquid?  Where can you get it and how do you make it into a glaze?

Jeff,

I had not heard of it either and wondered the same thing and did a  Google search. It is essentiaslly dired up tar that resuts from oil leakage to the earths surface, it occurrs in nature and has been used by people from the earliest times a dye.

It is sold in useable form by lots of suppliers for a wide variety of tasks including printing plates  and art supplies; I presume it is cut with distillates.

It is the ultimate "grime".

Karl

It was also one of the base ingredient in japanning used on Stanley planes.

eBay search for "Asphaltum" turns up powder form and Asphaltum Antiquing Glaze.

I use asphaltum quite a bit.  I use it to make japan for tintypes.  I get mine from Graphic Chemical & Ink (Google them, they are on the web).  The stuff is super cheap and lasts forever. 

Back