Websites are not alowed to be promoted?

I recently posted an announcement that I had launched a new website, even had a nice response from a gentlemen and someone decided to remove it.

The new site is www.cherrybrookwoodworks.com

For those of us trying to make a living at this, a website is an integral part of running a business these days.  Even though I know my buying audience is not on this forum, traffic to my site matters. 

There is a place to put links in the "tags" area in the post reply window. I think the question would revolve around the word promoted. The forum could turn into an advertising rather than informational place. to promote your business I would think you would become a paid advertiser to SAPFM. This supports the website and the APF journal.
For instance I could link to Freddy's site http://periodcraftsmen.com/period-furniture.html if someone were looking for his blog or ?. I don't really think this is a place for self promotion or advertising. You can also put a link to your website in your profile and a tag line. then when you post information or add to discussion people see your information at the bottom of the post.

This is supposed to be a forum to share ideas and share our work, so that all may enjoy and benefit.  His website and furniture are very well done and it seems counterproductive to the mission of SAPFM to say, no you cannot share your work here.  
  This site will not turn into an advertising place.  I think it's great that someone is proud of his work and wants to share it.  Again, we should all welcome that - he's got some amazing pieces that we can all gain from and enjoy.  We are woodworkers - we aren't going to buy his stuff.  I, for one, would encourage folks to post their sites and share them here.  

Anyway, I say bravo, Peter, you make beautiful furniture.

There is also the Members Gallery to post work that is intended to be shared and enjoyed.
    Unfortunately, the Gallery has been recently restricted to only American Period pieces. A change that should possibly have been made by polling the membership. Foreign or "other" types of furniture styles and origins are the basis of our own "American Period" and should be explored and studied. So many of the furniture makers were trained/apprenticed outside of the US and include it in their "American" pieces.
    I guess, as time goes on and the group grows, these interpretations and gray areas will pop up and need to be addressed and clarified..I do not think the site should be used extensively as personal advertising/business promotion but we need also to support the businesses/people that support us.
    It of course should always be as Mike states, an "informational place".
    A difficult line to draw. So many companies/individuals provide services and support that we have needed in the past and will need in the future for us to grow or be true our "mission". There are many circumstances that could be seen as self-promoting or self-serving but without them it would be difficult for us as a group to exist...
    I apologize for "high jacking" this thread or adding more controversy but I think these issues are part of the growing pains of the SAPFM and of course will be addressed and sorted out.
Joe

Back