Water Stones

kerry grubb

Is there someone out there with experience with water sharpening stones? I have a pair (an 800 and a 1200) that I have used for quite some time and they are in the need of flattening. My question, what would be the best approach/material to do so?

I use a DMT extra coarse diamond stone to flatten mine. For a cheaper option Norton sells a flattening stone for around $25-$30 or so though I like the diamond stone better.

I had a flattening stone for my water stones and in a relatively short time in became convex, i.e. was worn away. The sandpaper method works well or for more money the diamond stone will last a long time and remain flat.

Howard Steier

Or you could forget the water stones and sharpen with the diamond stones which stay flat! Then a hard translucent oil stone followed by a nice stropping with  leather and compound and your tools will be the envy of any woodworker! Quick and easy and back to work!

Kerry,

I use the DMT extra coarse diamond plate like Chris J. It's also great for flattening the back of chisels and plane irons or honing out small nicks that may occur in your cutting edges. A little pricey but does work quickly on water stones. I've had one for over 5 years and it still works like new.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try the diamond method. I do have a set of diamond stones but like the age old question pins or tails, I prefer the water stones, finishing with a 6000. I can get a pretty good edge.

I have some diamond thing I got from LN that works nice, but what I also learned from them is if you hit the stone with a few passes each time you use it, it stays flat all the time and it cuts a LOT faster.

martin

Back