Volunteers Needed: Fall 2016 Chapter Booth @ Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event

Mark Maleski

Administrator
It's time to organize our involvement with the Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event on Oct 28-29 @ Community Forklift in Edmonston, MD (inside the beltway, near Route 50).  If you are able to help represent us at this event, please reply now to [email protected] and indicate your availability.  We're requesting that volunteers sign up for one or more of the following timeframes:

Friday Oct 28:
  - Timeslot 1: 10:00 - 1:00
  - Timeslot 2: 2:00 - 6:00

Saturday Oct 29:
- Timeslot 3: 10:00 - 1:30
- Timeslot 4: 1:30 - 5:00

If you're interested in demonstrating a particular technique on our bench, please indicate that in your reply.  For these demonstrations, we've learned that the most important skill required to "man the booth" is ability to speak (and really, it's the only requirement).  We will have things of interest lying on the bench for attendees to look closely at (carving samples, bits of molding, etc); this draws people to the bench, and then you can start a discussion about SAPFM.  We'll facilitate the discussion by providing pamphlets to hand out and a display board that highlights the benefits of membership.  It's an easy discussion to have.

Do you have enough volunteers yet? I'd love to help out Friday if needed. I could probably swing the late shift.
And if there's going to be a bench I'd be happy to practice joinery for people to see.

Also, any great period furniture books or publications I 'need' to read to start out?

Andrew

Andrew (and anyone else reading this message before this Friday),

We could certainly use the help!  I'll send the details to you via email, to show where there are gaps in our coverage.  If you can do the late shift on Friday then I think we'll have that day fully covered.  (We might be thin at times on Saturday).

Regarding your question about period furniture books, I think this thread says it better than I could: http://www.sapfm.org/forum/index.php?topic=1779.0.  There are some newer books that should be added to that thread (e.g., the 2014 book on Nathaniel Gould) but it's a great way to get started.  The Jeffrey Greene book is a good, broad introduction to period furniture styles whereas The Fine Points of Furniture is a great resource for improving your eye, so I'd point those out in particular as good choices for early acquisition. 

We had a good weekend of representing SAPFM this weekend at the Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event.  We spoke with dozens of members of the public and left with 17 email addresses of prospective members who wished to know more about our organization.  We will follow-up with a modified version of our "Welcome to SAPFM" email that we send to new members, which describes National and Chapter activities.  Special thanks to David Hickson, who drove our participation in the event and we behind the bench for nearly the whole weekend.  Additional thanks to those other members who helped to man the booth: Bert Bleckwenn, John Rowe, Andrew Stirling, Richard Valentich, and William Duffield (who drove from afar to participate).

Attachments

• Lie_Nielsen SAPFM 2016.jpg
    Lie_Nielsen SAPFM 2016.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 7
Back