Vernacular Chairs of the Shenandoah Valley

Jeff L Headley

An exhibit of vernacular chairs of the Shenandoah Valley will be held at the Mueseum Of the Shenandoah Valley, in Winchester Virginia from Dec 18th, 2009, through June 20, 2010. It, along with their collection, should not be missed.

Jeff,

I had the opportunity to see the museum about a year ago and also toured the house and grounds. It's a very nice setting. You feel like you are out in the country, but it is very close to downtown Winchester. I'm not sure which was the better collection--the pieces in the house or in the museum. I was surprised to see some 'sleeper' Seymour pieces there. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who will be in the area. Hopefully, I'll be in the area between December 18th and June 20.

I want to echo Jeff and Mark's comments about visiting the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. If you are out our way, it is well worth the stop. The house  (it's name is Glen Burnie) contains many fine examples of period furniture and some rather inspirational - to me anyway - architectural trim and cabinetry as well. And the museum has those "sleeper" Seymour pieces Mark mentioned. They are beautiful examples of their work and you can get up close (but not personal, of course) to them.

The chair exhibit will make for a great trifecta. And if I recall correctly the discussion at our last meeting, I think the Virginia chapter may hold a meeting there during the chair exhibit period. Come on down! (Or up. Or over.)

Rick Yochim         

Back