Veneering Question on Doors

Michael Armand

I would like to congratulate Steven Lash for winning this years Cartouche Award. Great job!
  I am building a copy of a Plantation desk for a client. The top doors have panels in them that are 9" by 18" tall. I want to leave the tool marks showing on the back of the panels so I do not want to veneer the backs. The panels are poplar with walnut crotch fronts. Any suggestions on keeping them from warping to bad before they are installed? The door frames are getting veneered also but will be done after they are assembled. 
                    Thanks,
                                  Mike

Mike- There probably shouldn't be any toolmarks on the inside of the doors. If you plane the stock with a smoothing plane the marks should be barely visible, same with the stiles and rails. Veneer the backs, otherwise you will take a chance on warping and cracking, even though it may take a few years to actually crack. I had a clock that showed buckling for two winters before it finally let go the end of the second winter.

On a more philosophical note, you need to show the customer that you know how to us hand tools so that the marks are minimal. If they wan to see a lot of tool marks you need to educate them as to what hand work is all about. You want to see plane marks on the bottom of draws, not the back of the door on a formal piece.-Al

Hey Al,
          Thanks for your reply. I set it aside to start on a couple of chairs and let the wood take a breather. The client wants birdseye maple inside so I will do the backs of the panels and door frames also. I will leave marks on the drawer bottoms and on the appropriate parts of the casework.  Hope everyone is staying warm. BRRRRR. Its even cold here in Louisiana.
                                                                              Michael

Back