Veneer Press

DonC

I am now making a screw type veneer press with commercially available veneer screws.
What is the correct spacing for these screws? Or, how many square inches are under correct psi pressure for each screw?
Thank you,
Don

I don't know about psi in any precise way, but the spacing will depend on what you're pressing and how many/large any cauls you can use. You might try it with gobars first to determine what spacing works.

Pam

Pam, I don't know about psi either but I built 4 frames out of oak 4x4's, out side measurement 14 3/4" x 36, which leaves the inside opening of 7 3/4" x 28". (These measurements approx.--the 4x4's run 3 1/2" x etc) I made 2 caul boards 27 X 38 out of glued up 1" poplar and faced them on one side with 3/8" marine plywood to give me a good flat surface. The press screws are on 9" centers.  I space the frames about 9" apart.

I layer a caul board; then some Kraft paper (to take any glue squeeze out); then  the work piece; then the veneer sheet; then more Kraft paper; then the top caul board; and then 2x4's (the 2" face down) on top of the top caul board to take the press screws. You can put a lot of pressure (I have no idea how much) on whatever you have between the caul boards!

In this day of vacum bags this seems a bit primitive but it has worked well for me for a lot of years. If it would help, contact me outside the forum; I'd be glad to take a few digital shots and email them to you.

John McAlister

Back