Veneer matching on drawer fronts

klkirkman

In the cae of a spice chest where the number of drawers varies between two and three, what is the accepted way to match the veneers since you cannot book match three panels.

Karl

I wouldn't be concerned about trying to match them. If you want some form of continuity, I would simply use the same cross section from three consecutive leaves of veneer.

Jack,

Thanks ro a quick answer.

Just to be sure I understand, you would slip match all of the drawers whether two or three drawer rows, or did you mean to slip match the rows of three and book match the rows of two  ?

Karl

I may have misunderstood your initial post. What width is your veneer and what widths are the drawers?

I'm assuming you're applying the veneer vertically on the drawer fronts. If the veneer is at least the width of the drawers (I'm also assuming if they're spice drawers, they must be quite small), then I would veneer the first drawer with a pleasing section of veneer, then veneer the second drawer (I'm assuming to it's right ? or left) with the same area of veneer from the subjacent leaf (from what North Americans call a 'flitch') and so on and so on.

If the drawers are situated one above another, then superjacent/subjacent drawers would be veneered with the natural continuation of the veneer (assuming your veneer is long enough to span the stack of drawers) as in this image... http://pegsandtails.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/wm_cod_in_white_08a.jpg?w=640

Jack,

The veneers will be oriented with the grain horizontal, but having said that, your proposed approach of slip veneering across each row of drawers, whether it be  a double drawer row or a triple drawer row, would be less disruptive to the eye that the threes slipped and the twos bookmatched, which I am afraid would look jangled.

The other solution I was considering might be to book match the doubles, and on rows having three to book match the outboard drawers to each other, and split the center drawer front veneer into two bookmatched halves, which were each a slip match of their outboard adjacent drawer.

I like your solution; thank you very much for your help.

Karl

Back