Trip to New York

L

Leon Gauvreau

April 7 I will be going to New York for 10 days and want to visit some of the museum. Hopefully I can see some worthwhile furniture displays. I anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing from you.

Also, I don't remember any mention of the Williamsburg conference. Does anyone have some recollections they cound share?

Thanks for the help, Leon Gauvreau

Duncan Phyfe is at the Met and the entire American Wing has been remounted. A must see.  Between the American Wing and the rest of the place you can easily spend 2 days.

The old Merchants House is another must see.

While you are at it  the NY historical society usually has good stuff.

and depending on your specific interest the Cloisters are worth a trip.

Thank you Joel! This is a wonderful guide and I'm sure we will enjoy it all.

Leon

You are welcome - remember tools for working wood is in Brooklyn, a short subway hop away from Manhattan and we do have a small showroom.  Enjoy your trip!

joel

You should not miss the stored furniture at the Met - so many carved chests, for one example among many, that even Peter Follansbee's well viewed knees would wobble. Not too easy to find but well worth it. You will need an hour beyond Phyfe to skim it.
And Joel, doesn't Brooklyn have a museum with interesting things?
And the Modern has, um... modernist design for those interested in progressing beyond 1840.
And you might look for dealer galleries in Chelsea with Nakashima etc.

The Brooklyn Museum has phenomenal period rooms but I don't know if they are currently open.  They also have a study collection - not nearly the size as the met but good stuff.
THe fact is between the MEt, the Old MErchant's house, a few resturants and plays you can be socked up touring, miss a lot of stuff, but still see some great stuff.

Back