Top for Desk Reproduction

EHill

I'm working on the G.Washington desk in Margon's American Furniture Treasures.  Here's the original: https://untappedcities.com/2017/05/17/the-desk-of-george-washington-inside-nyc-city-halls-governor-room/

Still working on the legs, but thinking ahead to the top.  The top on the original is a single slab of mahogany roughly 65 x 30 x 1.5.  There is a fairly small letter shelf on each end but that still leaves a large open space; no leather pad.

My thought was to build a two-layer top out of three-quarter poplar (or other secondary wood).  The bottom layer would be a frame and the upper layer would be full width material to create a substrate for veneering.  I've done some small hammer veneering projects and I enjoy it, but that's alot of veneer, particularly long runs of it.  On the upside, the edges/ends are crossbanded, so I would just need to get the interior seams lined up.  Looks like 15-20" wide veneer is available, so I could do the top with a single joint.  May even be more interesting to do a book/butt match, though that's more inconsistent with the original. 

Not sure what other choices I have, other than to glue up multiple six-quarter boards.  In which case, I'm probably going to have two or three seams as it's much harder to find 15 inch width boards. That'll also move/crack/check like the original or more so. 

Would appreciate thoughts on the veneering approach and/or other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

If you are interested, I have the material for a single board solid top and all of the hardware necessary for the piece, feet, bails, locks, and escutcheons.
you could contact me via email if there is any interest.

I agree with RAC, you should just do the top out of a single slab. I have (Honduran) mahogany pieces large enough to do the top, that I've had for years. They are nice and flat and the person I got them from had them for a while as well. I think you'll find that the mahogany will be stable enough that there wouldn't be any significant warping. 

I agree. I've had 4/4 and 6/4 x 40" wide Mh in my shop for 20+ years (for pie crust tea tables) and they are still flat.

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs

Back