Tiger maple source

CBWW

I am looking for a source/reccomendation for tiger maple-  What I need is small quantities of instrument grade or close to in 8/4 only 28-36" long.  I need a farily small amount for now- four to five pieces maybe 5 to 6" wide.  ANybody ship small quantities?  I am located in CT.

http://www.curlymaple.com/

Not affiliated or a customer just a source I see recommended often.

Tony

Thanks.  I found that one on a quick search.  Was hopeing for some other options.
Pete

www.cherrybrookwoodworks.com

Pete,

I have had pretty good luck purchasing that sort of thing on eBay, but I should say that the lengths you are seeking are tending to be long for maintaining the highest grade of high figure throughout the entire length, width and thickness. I notice that some sellers tend to characterize this sort of wood " optimistically" ;  by tending to see the very best portion. You have to look carefully at each piece, both sides.

I have bought a lot of stock from Curlymaple and had very good experiences every single time; the prices may seem high, but his grading is really accurate; I believe the proprietor spent a  lifetime in the timber business.

Karl

Karl,

Yeah, I know my "instrument grade" at that length is wishfull thinking.  I surfed quickly through Ebay but didnt see a whole lot.  WIth two young boys(8 and 3) and running a business, I dont have a whole lot of time to search things out.  I appreciate your positive feedback about Curlymaple.  That goes a long way with me.  I hate buying things "unseen" from people... I have a few "spec" pieces to make for a show and may contact them this week...

Pete

Paul,

Two things I might add:

1. The designation "instrument" grade or "luthier"  grade get tossed around a lot, and often with not much precision. I have tried researching the official grading rules for these designations withour much real success.  When paying the prices commanded by the real thing - and you WILL know it when you see it - I find is important to at least see photos of both entire sides of the pieces offered,and in addition to reason out or visualize in your own mind what intermediate slices would probalby look like because one rarely uses the face as is.

2. My experience after chasing really top level wood for many years is that it is difficult, and can be very expensive, to try to find wood at the time you need it. The most beautful pieces of wood that I have bought over the years were purchased because they were extraordinary and I knew I would likely not see them again, not because I had a project at hand at the time that needed them, Havng said that, the projects seem to have eventually come along because while most  of my stock probably sits an average of five years of so, it does eventually become the "perfect" piece for something I am building, or I choose to build to capitalize on the appearance of a particular piece.

Karl

Karl

Try C P Johnson 540 825 1006. He is located 1 hr slightly West of Washington, DC. He usually has unequaled figured maple and cherry on hand. His prices are extremely reasonable.

Pete,

Three possible sources in or real near CT:

M.L.Condon - White Plains and Stormville NY
Conway Hardwood - Gaylordsville CT
Berkshire Products - Sheffield MA

Jim

My Brothers and I have purchased some real nice boards from George Dunnett at Vermont Fancy Hardwoods in Ludlow, not a typical lumber yard but some really nice maple. Call on phone, he is not good with email.
Joe Maday

http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/016123.php

You don't say where you are in CT, but you might give Irion Lumber a call.  They're in Wellsboro, PA, so it might be a bit of a drive, but you can pick out what you want in person, and there's no minimum at their yard.  The curly maple I ordered from them a few years ago was unequaled in my experience - several boards would easily be better than AAA+ "instrument grade", and they've got just about any thickness and width you might care to ask for.

Back