Tiger/Curley Maple Tips

hellmutt

I have just picked up Tiger/Curly Maple for my Desk on frame project. It is derived roughly from a William/Mary period design. The legs and stretchers will be turned and the rest will be case work. My only other work with tiger maple was with a Tavern table (only used for the top) I used the leftovers for a small clock.
I did learn on the first project that scraping brought out the wood grain better than sanding! Are there any tricks I need to know before I start to turn the legs or any other tricks to tiger maple that might be helpful?

I just finished a tea table that was my first project in tiger/curly maple.  I did get some tearout, but nothing terrible.  I didn't notice some of it until  I started top coating.  One thing that did catch me was when I was planing the moldings and skirts - I felt like there was sometimes no rhyme or reason as to what direction I had to plane.  It wasn't always obvious.  also, I feel like I had better lock with a low angle block plane.  I have no idea what the plane iron was ground to,  I don't remember.  That could have been part of it.  Anyway, my point is to try some light passes when planing to make sure you are headed in the  right direction.  I use a DeWalt 735 "portable" planer and it handled the figured maple very well.  My #4 smoother did pretty reasonably well on the flat surfaces.  Good luck with your project.  The wood is a little tricky, but the reward is really worth it.  I felt like I was real lucky to have gotten the stock that I had.  It was really nice.  I'm anxious to begin my next tiger/curly maple piece. 

A local wood supplier had curly maple for around $10 and tiger for ~$7.  I was shocked that I could get figured maple for that price - especially here in Memphis.  i asked why the difference in price and didn't get a real good explanation.  I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder.  I hoe I can get some  more of this stuff.  Bad thing is he only gets 4/4 stock. I had to findleg and skirt stock somewhere else.

Tony

Attachments

• Tea Table for web.jpg
    Tea Table for web.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 60
Maple turns very nice.  You wouldn't think so but you will be suprised on how nice it is in the lathe. Sometimes with curly maple you can have a hard time going back over an area you have already turned. Try to get it right the first time.
Tony, nice table! I have always said that the best critic is the finisher. During the finish is where you will see all your imperfections.
Never point them out to a client(wives included). It will be the first place on the piece they will look at for the rest of their lives.

Back