Supplier for baize fabric

S

Striker

I'm starting a desk which has a felt baize material for a writing surface. I've been looking for a source for the material but its been a tougher find than I expected.  Londonderry has it only in green..... I'm looking for some sort of blue.  Any ideas / sources ??

Thanks, Stephen 

A possibilty is The October Company. We used to get the lining for silver caddies from them. DCT Leathers is the best bet if you wanted to go that way. As crazy as it sounds, check the yellow pages for a local billiard supply house. You'll see more green for obvious reasons but maybe..........

I just googled "Baize" and found a couple of suppliers with several colors. Both are in England one was on e-bay.
Mike

Mack Headley from the cabinet shop at CW told me they use the baize from pool tables.  I bought some for card tables and it works great and it comes in many colors.  You can buy it from your local pool table store.  The edges of the pool table baize do not fray where as the baize from Londonderry did (at least the shipment I bought it).

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

Thanks  for your comments.  I have a local billiard supply - I think I'll start there. If I have no luck,  I'll reach across the pond.

Thanks, Stephen

Live and learn.  I added the word "billiard" to the search and had a 101 suppliers pop up.  I explained my needs to the first one I called and had two pieces shipped in a matter of days. 

Thanks again for your comments

Stephen

I have been pursuing felt baize for a writing desk restoration for quite some time. Nancy Andersen of Londonderry Brasses sent me a sample from a new batch she just purchased. The color is "loden green" and it is very nice. The color is good, it has nice drape qualities, and it doesn't fray easily. It is 65" wide and sells for $45.00/yard plus shipping and handling. She also advised that she can special order the following colors: bright red, burgundy, black, camel, dark turquoise, dark green, and pool hall green. For a sample or more information, Nancy can be reached at: [email protected], or 610-593-6239.

Craig

Back