SUMMER Sapfm meeting

chobbs66

Gateway Chapter and all other Sapfm members:

I have been trying to get a meeting set up for a little while now, hoping for the spring.  But in lining up our presenters, location, etc.  We are moving it to the summer.

So mark your calendars for :  JULY 30th, in Overland Park KS (Kansas City area)

Presenters:  Tony Kubalak and Joel Ficke

Tony is the author of Carving 18th Furniture Elements, you can see a review on the sapfm website here http://www.sapfm.org/kubalak_review.pdf
You can see Tony's work at www.tonykubalak.com

Joel has a woodworking school in Wisconsin, and has been published in Fine Woodworking and has put together many podcasts on building period furniture.

You can see Joel's work at www.joelficke.com

Maybe the best by-product of having the meeting in the summer is that we will end the day with a good old fashined barbecue cookout, Kansas City style.

I will be posting more of the agenda and rest assured, contacting all of you in our generous geographic area.  I'm excited for a great meeting.

Let me know if you have any questions at [email protected].

Thanks, Cal

Oh wow, that looks great Cal. I was looking at one of Tony's books over the weekend and have it on my book list.

This looks like it will be a very interesting meeting for sure.

Rick

All,

Gateway Chapter and of course, all other SAPFM members (or wannabes) It?s time to organize your summer schedules, to include the SAPFM Gateway Chapter Summer Meeting on July 30th.  An itinerary for the day is attached.

The meeting is being held in Overland Park, KS (South suburb of Kansas City) at the clubhouse at my Subdivision?.I had some connections?

But what you really need to know is that we have a great program lined up.  Presentations will be by Joel Ficke and Tony Kubalak, both accomplished and published period furnituremakers. Also, Mark Carr will relay his fascinating story about finding the long lost Thomas Claggett/John Goddard clock that was stolen in the 1970?s.  And as always, we aim for strong show and tell, and a good time with good friends.

And since it?s a summer thing, for the first time, we will hang around in the evening for BBQ and beverages, for all who are willing! 

So please let me know as soon as possible so I can lock you in, and get a head count for food, refreshments, etc.  We have plenty of room, so let me know if you have any friends/family/spouses who want to come along, or if you have any questions in general.  I will glad to point you in the direction of local hotels, restaurants, etc. 

I look forward to hearing from each of you!  Cal  816-985-7432(c) and [email protected]

Hello All,

We are just about a week and a half away from the Summer SAPFM Meeting in Overland Park, KS on July 30th.  We have had a great response so far, and we could be looking at 30 or more people getting together, some amazing talent.  Should be an excellent day.  Tony and Joel are raring to get here!  If you have not responded yet, please do, we would love to see you there.  And I just checked, the air conditioning is working just fine in the clubhouse!

I thought it would be good to send out a few hotels in the area of the meeting for those who are traveling, this is by no means a comprehensive list, but you might check into:

Fairfield Inn and Suites 12440 Blue Valley Parkway, Overland Park, KS      913-338-3600
Springhill Suites 12000 Blue Valley Parkway, Overland Park, KS      913-491-0010
Residence Inn 12010 Blue Valley Parkway, Overland Park, KS 913-491-4444
Embassy Suites 10601 Metcalf Avenue, Overland Park, KS              913-649-7060
Hyatt Place 6801 West 112th St, Overland Park, KS                 913-451-2553
Sheraton Overland Park 6100 College Boulevard, Overland Park, KS 913-234-2100

For reference, the meeting location is at 12701 Grandview, Overland Park, KS

I will be looking forward to seeing each of you there.  If anyone would like to get together for dinner or drinks on Friday night when you are in town, please let me know, you can reach me at [email protected] or on my cell at 816-985-7432.

AND PLEASE----BRING SHOW AND TELL!

Thanks, Calvin

Back