Suggestions for trip to Washington D.C.

al Spicer

Hello SAPFM members,

I will be taking a trip to Washington D.C. in a few months with two other woodworkers . We are planning a visit to the  U.S. Department of State building as well as the D.A.R. building to check out their furniture. We are looking for some suggestions as to other places in the D.C. area to check out examples of fine furniture. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Al

I'm not sure but I think you must have a letter from your state senator before you can tour the State building.  Ask member Bob Mustang about this.

Dennis Bork

D.A.R. is the Daughters of the American Revolution. Their building has 13 rooms decorated with period furniture. Each room represents a state and is decorated with furniture from a particular period.

We have already obtained approval to tour the Dept of State.

Al

Al,

If you and your friends can make it across the river to the Virginia side, there are several "must see" houses with many great pieces in them.

First would be Mt. Vernon of curse. Then, there's Gadsby's Tavern in Alexandria, and also the Carlyle House. If not crossing the river, then in Maryland up the road a bit in Frederick, is Rosehill Manor.

All of these are easy day trips from downtown DC.

And if you stay in the District, then I would suggest the Renwick Gallery. The exhibits tend toward the eclectic, but the craftsmanship is very good.

Hope this helps.

Rick Yochim 

Al,
Maybe you could connect with Ed Stuckey. He is drawing a John Chipman Chest in the Department of state and had some questions. He has a post under discuss plans and drawings in the forum.
Mike

You probably already know this, but the Dept of State is available to anyone with a background check, but it has to be a few months in advance - at least that was during the last administration.

My favorite houses in the area are Gunston Hall - amazing woodwork in the interiors - and Kenmore, in Fredericksburg, which is around an hour to the South.  There is also a museum at Kenmore that has several nice pieces.

Another great stop would be Sumpter Priddy's antique store in Old Town Alexandria. 

There's tons to see so no excuse being bored.  Have fun.

If you want a long day trip Winterthur DE is 2hr away and there is a lot in that area, besides Winterthur itself, there is Heagley and Nimoiors (need reservations)...

DAR is free, but I seem to remember you need to make reservations.

martin

Back