stringing/stain

jlandis

I am making a stab at stringing and inlay. The item is a Federal inspired bench in Walnut. I would like to darken the sapwood to match, but do not want to affect the Holly stringing. If I were to stain before applying the stringing , it seems to me there would be problems created during the "cleaning up" after applying the Holly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim

Jim,

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to your question. Try using a fine artists brush to apply shellac to the stringing after it has been inlaid and levelled. Then carefully stain the sapwood areas. This is tedious work, but then again so is inlay.

The shellac works well like Mark said.  It goes on better when it is a little thicker cut.  I usually do a few coats to make sure I havent missed any spots.  Use water stains on top of it.  If you are laying up alcohol color, I have used poly to seal it with good results.  I have also used pin striping tape  for wider inlays.  There is a sideboard advertised in a few magazines now that was done with the tape.  I had to alter the color with tinted shellac and the pinstriping tape went on first....  long story... 

Back