Spokeshave/Travisher Making Class

Jim Crammond

All Interested,

As announced at the Fall ORV meeting, there will be a 2 day spokeshave and travisher making extravaganza at Dude's(Brian Neely) shop near Lancaster on Saturday and Sunday, November 13 and 14, 2010.  There is a $25.00 material fee.  I will need a firm commitment from all interested by October 29, 2010 so the O1 steel, associated hardware and wood blanks can be ordered and prepared.

So far, the following have expressed an interest(which I take as a commitment):
    1. Charles Murray
    2. Dude
    3. Ben Brungs
    4. Patrick Malie
    5. Tod Jervey
    6. John Herrel

If anyone else is interested in attending, please reply to this thread.  The material fee does not need to be paid ahead of time, but I would like to make sure that there is adequate amount of supplies on hand for the session.  Let me know if there are any questions.

Jim

Charles Murray has inquired about the starting time of this event.  In order to complete one tool each day, my thought is that we start at 8:30 both days. 

I will supply all of the necessary material, and will have some extra tools, but it would be helpful to bring your own hand tools(that you already have, no need to go out and buy anything).  The following list is a good starting point;

1. Backsaw or other small sharp saw
2. Coping saw with extra blades
3. Chisels, 1/4", 1/2", and 1"
4. Rasps and half round files ( a four in hand is fine)
5. Handscrews or small bar clamps
6. Block plane or small bench plane #3 or #4 size
7. 12" ruler
8. Small combination, double or try square
9. Mallet
10. Anything else you think may be useful.

If anyone has any comments or other questions, please respond to this thread.

Jim

Well, the deadline for signing up has past.  The following have committed to taking the Spokeshave/Travisher at Dude's shop starting November 13;
    1. Zack Grove
    2. Dude
    3. Ben Brungs
    4. Patrick Malie
    5. Bob Pflummer
    6. John Herrel
I will order material tomorrow, accordingly.

Again, if anyone has any questions, please post them here.

Jim

Back