Sherwin-Williams Nitro Lacquer

I doubt many people spray on this forum...  I havent used that lacquer yet.  I use Mohawk and Chemcraft.  A friend of mine who is a full time finisher uses SW.  Its easy for him to get and he says it works fine.  I do have a job coming up where I will most likely be trying the SW though....

Pete
www.cherrybrookwoodworks.com

Hi Ty G
I use to spray Lacquer back when I went to school, a lot of years ago.  We did a lot of testing with different brands and the one we used the most was ML Campbell. The big difference is the amount of solids in the mix. Although SW has good stuff, if your trying to make a living at this, time is money and you will  notice a major improvement in the build time. http://www.mlcampbell.com/products/categories/clear_topcoats  
  Good
Luck, Randy
  Oh yeah, pre and post catalyzed lacquer is not the best choice for furniture

R Bohn said:
"Hi Ty G
I use to spray Lacquer back when I went to school, a lot of years ago.  We did a lot of testing with different brands and the one we used the most was ML Campbell. The big difference is the amount of solids in the mix. Although SW has good stuff, if your trying to make a living at this, time is money and you will  notice a major improvement in the build time. http://www.mlcampbell.com/products/categories/clear_topcoats  
  Good
Luck, Randy
   Oh yeah, pre and post catalyzed lacquer is not the best choice for furniture"

Randy,
Sherwin Williams owns ML Campbell. I've used both brands and don't see any difference in the quality of the products I have used. Why do you say pre-cat lacquer is not a good choice for furniture?

Ty,
I have used a fair bit of the SW pre-cat lacquer(T77F38). I personally love it, although I'm not using it on furniture(only because I'm not building furniture currently). It is a very durable finish. I use the "dull rubbed" sheen, just a personal preference.  I buy 5gal at a time and catalyze it myself as I use it. Product that has not been catalyzed has a two year shelf life. I have a job I'm in the process of doing that requires glazing and I will be using a SW CAB lacquer(T75F18) as a top coat. I can give my thoughts on it in a couple of weeks, if you're still interested.

Tony

I use SW pre cat. It works fine. I buy 5 gallons at a time and cut it with 2 gallons of reducer. I used the hand rubbed, the only difference would be the amount of flattening agent they throw in. I have probably used 20 to 25 gallons since they built the local SW store a few years back. Buy a gallon and see if you like it. Get a business account as it is much cheaper that way.
Mike

Hi All
  First I should say, I think if you build something,you can do what ever you want.  And I think all finishes have a reason and purpose they where intended for. The Challenge is to match the task with the finish. And because the finishing field can be , shall we say, twisted,I should mention that besides being a former assistant instructor at DCTC, as a student, I logged more time than most. Along with the other schools I attended.  I restore/conserve  high end antiques and maintain collections  for dealers, museums and private  collectors throughout the country. So much for the commercial 
  With that said, here we go.
      Tony, you build kitchen cabs, using pre or post cat lacquer, is a very good choice. And the reason most cab company's went to pre cat lacquer is because of the speed of build and dry time. Now its been some time since I've read the can but I think they recommend 2 coats and no more  than 3. You can spray a cab in the morning  and have it in a box the same day. Compared to nitrocellulose lacquer [Witch I call old lacquer] that may take 15-20 coats to get the same build. For cab company's  this was a vast improvement.  Remember, when we talk about kitchen cabs, we are talking about vertical surfaces. And as I can tell that neither you or Mike refinish cabinets I can understand why you would lean that way.  If you are going to compare SW cat lacquer with Campbell high solids lacquer,I don't think you would see much difference.{ Hang with me here]    The big difference is in repair ability.  When you refinish kitchen cabs, you take the doors off and replace them  or sand the finish off and start over. If they are coated with cat lacquer [ and I am talking about most cat lacquer] you will find that the stripper will not remove it. You will find yourself at the dip tanks fighting to get this stuff off. It is very durable just like Tony said.    So what if we put cat lacquer on a veneered piece of furniture?  Cat. lacquer can get all the damage every other finish can get, Water marks, scratches,hot pizza box marks,[ a personal Favorite]. With old lacquer, I would easily spray the white mark with blush eliminator and the damage is gone.
  Time for a story,  some years back I was called to repair a new table that had some red dye from a candle that had spilled its wax. The dye some how got in the finish, not on top. Upon entering the room, I could spot it as cat lacquer. The trained eye can spot the difference form across the room.When I asked the couple if it was in fact cat lacquer the couple was happy to tell me it was.The seller told them it was a new indestructible finish. The table had a beautiful veneer on MDF.  The couple had called the company that made the table and were told to get who ever they wanted to repair the surface.  Are any of you starting to see the red flags yet? Company's don't often give you a choice, they send there own people.  Now, because of my training, I knew that the first one to try to repair the surface would only make it worse. You see, cat lacquer doesn't repair very well, and the company knew it.I armed the couple with this info and off to court they went.  You see this couple were both lawyers, and they presented this info to the other side, and a settlement  was  made. After words it came out that they had hoped some one would have attempted to fix it to attach a percentage of damage to the restorer.
  The bottom line is if you buy new furniture with cat lacquer, you may be buying throw away furniture.  Now let's plug your furniture, that you have spent all this time in building into this equation.  I hope you see what I am trying to convey.  Everybody knows that if a piece of furniture can't be repaired it is not going to be the family heirloom you intended it to be.  The best way to remove cat lacquer is to cut it off.  If you are dealing with thin veneers, well you can see the problem that would cause.  If I left something out or you have more questions, or just want to hear another story (I am getting up there in years, where I have plenty) just ask. Questions are good.  Do good work.  Randy

Hi All
  One other thing worth mentioning, for any of you that use lacquer, and  especially for you that have production lines. When I built cabinets I had a small shop and when the cabs where sitting there waiting to be finished they really plugged up the shop. And waiting for the stain to dry just made the problem worst.  What I did to speed things up was to use lacquer based stain, it dries in about 15 min. and you can top coat in about 1/2 hour. It doesn't  come in many colors but enough to get by. Also for any one in the refinishing field, this stuff bites in like no other stain. Sorry, high VOC's  make it hard to get in many states, but I bought it through Sherwin-Williams under the Glidden brand.  Be careful, it's very flammable, just like lacquer.  In the finishing world chemicals are tools, something to think about.  Be safe.    Randy

Back