Sharpening carving chisels

Ed Griner

Does anyone know of a good shapening service,for carving chisels,in the delaware valley area? 

Thanks/Ed

Ed,
If you're going to carve, you're going to have to learn to sharpen. Any of a number of woodworking schools offer seminars, there are videos available and there is Chris Pye's comprehensive book on carving tools including everything you wanted to know about sharpening but were afraid to ask (his website has a 102 page download just on how to sharpen a V tool).
When I started out, I found that the most difficult question to answer was "how sharp is sharp". So again, a hands on course would be best. If there is a Woodcraft near you they all offer sharpening seminars.

Howard Steier

Everyone has their own technique for sharpening - but I use a power honing device that I made to use on my lathe.  I didn't originate it, it's something that's been around for a long time.  I'll put up a document that describes it on my web site and post a link later today.

Mike

[Here's the link - http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/Papers/SharpeningCarvingTools.pdf
Although the paper specifies tripoli for honing, I now use that green honing compound from Lee Valley - just haven't changed the paper.]

I like a power sharpener, but it can;t be a standard wheel like the Tormek, which rotates in a vertical plane. I use a water cooled Woodtek unit ( approx. $100) which rotates in a horizontal plane. It came with a 1000 grit wheel, and quickly sharpens my chisels. It is easy to see what you are doing. Woodtek also sells a 400 grit wheel, but I don;t think I need to grind away that much steel. There is another unit  available from a different manufacturer , which uses glass onto which one sticks sandpaper, but I haven;t used it.Then I use a buffer on a slow speed grinder. The buffer is just a few thicknesses of cereal box cardboard glued together, then charged with green rouge. I have a couple different cardboard wheels, of different thicknesses, depending on the chisel to be buffed.
Mark

I've switched to the new Worksharp. It uses a nice tool holder system for straight tools, but the real advantage is a slotted wheel for sharpening curved tools.

The slots in the wheel allow you to see through it as you sharpen the tool on the underside. You actually get to see the point of contact when grinding.

It's a really fast and easy way to sharpen carving and turning tools.

Ralph

Back