secretary galley

bean.don

I'm getting ready to build a secretary with some Sapele that I had left over from some architectural molding that I made and I don't quite have enough, would it be cosher to make the galley out of tiger maple?  Would it be bizarre?  I'm trying to spend as little as possible but it is a huge investment of time and I don't want to sacrifice the piece to save a buck, I could always rent out one of my kids to pay for a little more wood. What do you think?

Fran, If you read this don't freak out, this is just my warm up for the Townsend desk.  I'm following your tutorials closely on the shell carving, I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start.

"It's just one board at a time"

Don- It would only be bizarre in that you won't find it done in the period unless the whole rest of the desk is tiger. Rent out the kid -Al

I'd rent out the kid in a heartbeat. But I think it would be really cool to build the galley in a contrasting wood. Making the carcasse in sapele already has you in the "not as kosher as one would want" class, so what the heck! The only thing I would caution is that the interior of the desk is fairly complex with some moderately difficult carving involved. There is enough sadness in life without having to carve something like tiger maple without an anesthetic. In fact, I think I'd rather chew on a mouthful of razor blades. However, good luck! And if it comes down to it, I have some pretty niffy methods of analyzing the progress of the carvings on the door and drawers if you'd care to know them. Check out www.rentoutyourkid.com before you commit to anything.
Fran

Fran,
So two of my kids are now cleaning the neighbors barn,  why didn't I think of this earlier,  I might not even have to go back to work,  I'll just spend my time finding jobs for them then take the money for more wood.
I feel like I'm allready imposing on your good nature with the shell tutorial, but since you offered, I would love to hear your technique with the galley door and drawers carving,  I,m building the desk using Glen Huey's Building period furniture book as a starting place but would like to add some adornment to the prospect door at least, anyway, I'm open for any ideas or instruction.
Thanks.
  Don

"its just one board at a time"

Back