sawing and drying veneer

having just purchased an18" laguna bandsaw I now have veneer cutting capabilities.  I have been practicing on some kiln-dried lumber and getting decent results.  my questions concern the cutting of green lumber.  the opportunity arose for me to cut down 2 nice holly trees.  one is about 13" in diameter.  they are down and cut into sections now.  I am not sure how I should go about processing this lumber.  should I cut it green into 4/4 lumber, dry it,  then cut veneers?  should I let the logs dry for awhile?  any advice on this subject would be welcome.  if I can perfect the process I won't mind sharing the holly as there will be more than I'll need for a lifetime.   
                thanks, Barry

The first thing you should do is get the ends of the sections coated, preferably with an Anchor Seal type product. Not being an expert, I'd say saw it in thicker sizes to help increase yield, cutting out or through the heart. If you leave it in log sections you will have radial cracking. I'd say once you split the cants open you shouldn't have to be in a hurry to slice it up. Just keep ends coated and under a shelter or covered top & sides, leaving the ends open for air to pass through. Just my 2cents worth. Good Luck!

I would say cut the log in half length wise when it is green.  Then trim the edges.  Then if you wanted to slice it into 3 or 4 inch wide boards about an inch thick that would give good small boards that could be useable fairly soon.  Or of course if you wanted bigger boards you resaw more out later.  I would definatly cut it length wise in half.  It would pretty much eliminate the radial checking
John Previti

Barry, I cut some holly into 4/4 boards and air dried it and it cupped very badly. Since I only use it for inlay it isn't a big problem but I did have to rip the center boards to avoid losing a 1/4" on the jointer.

Dick Dare

Back