Save the date! VA Chapter Fall Meeting

Bob Mustain

The Virginia Chapter will hold its fall meeting November 9 at the Headley and Sons Cabinet Shop in Berryville, VA.  Jeff and Steve have agreed to host the meeting and George Walker, columnist for Popular Woodworking, will be a presenter.  More information will be available soon.  Contact Bob Mustain with any questions.

I would like to thank Bob for the oppurtunity to host another Virginia chapter meeting of The Society of American Furniture Makers. I also would like to thank George Walker for presenting. His presentions are always inlightning and extremely useful in the development and implementation of period design and construction.
One thought for our prestentation will be surface preperation before finish. Another idea is architictual influences on period furniture construction and then some of our most interesting orders. I am interested in your ideas also.

We are now less than a week away from the fall meeting of the Virginia chapter.  Almost 40 people have indicated they will attend.  If you plan to attend please let me know, for planning purposes.  It is not too late but we do need a count.

It is even more important to let us know if you plan to go to dinner in Winchester after the meeting.  If you have already said you plan to go to dinner it isn't necessary to do anything.  If you plan to come, and have not indicated so, please let me know.

Don't forget to bring your drafting materials as mentioned in the last message so that you can work along with George Walker.  And also please bring your own chair, there will be limited seats available.

Here is the schedule;

9:00 Doors open  Coffee and donuts
    Meet and greet
9:30/10:00  Show and Tell
    Bring something to share with the group, a project or a jig
perhaps.
11:00 Brief business meeting
    The way forward and next meeting.
Lunch
    Subs from Subway
12:45  George Walker, Columnist for Popular Woodworking and author
    Proportion and design with practical application
2:30/2:45 Jeff Headley and Steve Hamilton
    topic TBD
4:00 Wrap-up

5:30/6:00 dinner in Winchester

For directions to the shop please go the the Woodworking School of the Shenandoah website, accessible from the SAPFM home page.

We'll see you on Saturday!

Bob

I would like to thank all that attended the fall Virginia chapter of The Society of American Period Furniture Makers meeting. Especially George Walker for his informative presentation on period furniture proportions. Other chapters need to consider having him present his information.
Also someone left a black leather flat cap which I would be more than happy to send home. It misses it's owner.

Jeff,

Thanks to you and Steve for hosting this chapter meeting at your shop and to your mom for being a gracious tour guide as we invaded her home.  She was a good sport and everyone loved getting to meet her.  Indeed, George's presentation was excellent and I also recommend it.  Your furniture building stories were a pretty close 2nd, war stories are always fun.

Thanks for having/putting up with us!

John

Back