SAPFM Southern California Chapter Seminar April 27, 28, 29, 2018

BRADFORD

Dear Fellow Woodworker and SAPFM Members,

We are happy and excited to report that we have confirmed, SAPFM 2012 Cartouche Award recipient, Allan Breed for our Spring Meeting.  Attached please find a registration form for our Meeting.  Please print and fill it out and return as soon as possible so we can confirm this event.  Please make your checks payable to SAPFM, Southern California Chapter. 

If you are not a member of SAPFM, I have enclosed a separate Registration Form for your Membership.  You can send your SAPFM Membership Form along with your Spring Meeting Registration Form to us and we will forward it to the SAPFM Membership Chairman.

We are looking forward to this Seminar and having Al out here on the West Coast to share his knowledge.  I have included his Bio for your review.  We will be sending the Agenda as soon as it is finalized.

Thank you for your support,

Thank you for your support,

Bob and Brad

Bob Stevenson                                Brad Ormsby
[email protected]                        [email protected]

Allan Breed
Cabinet and Chair Maker, Carver

The origins of my present career as a cabinetmaker and carver lie in my fascination with history, architecture and archaeology while growing up in New England. As I grew into my teens, my major interest became the early furniture of the area and culminated with a job in the restoration department at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston at the age of 19. I worked under Vincent Cerbone, an Italian trained cabinetmaker, and it was from Vinnie that I learned the rudiments of hide glue, carving theory and furniture construction while we took apart and reassembled pieces from the museum’s collection.
After leaving the museum I went on to get a degree in History and set up my own furniture restoration business doing work for museums and collectors. It was by working on period furniture that I learned cabinetmaking, and have gone on to reproduce many of the iconic pieces of American furniture, from the Nicholas Brown Newport secretary to a Reynolds Philadelphia Rococo mirror from the Metropolitan Museum in NY. In addition, I have made demonstration pieces and videos and given lectures in conjunction with several major museum exhibits, including the Phyfe and Townsend exhibits at the Met in NY, the “New England Begins” exhibit at the MFA in Boston and others. In 2012 I received the Cartouche Award from the Society of American Period Furniture Makers.
Throughout my career I have taught and lectured on early cabinetmaking practice, connoisseurship and hand tool cabinetmaking at my shop and at sites across the country including the education departments of both Sotheby’s and Christie’s in New York. I have presented many demonstrations and lectures at the Winterthur Furniture Forum as well as lectures on American furniture connoisseurship at Bayou Bend, The Dallas Museum of Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art and others.
I have handled and evaluated hundreds of pieces of early furniture in the course of my work, and I believe this experience sets me apart from many other modern practitioners of the craft.
I currently teach classes and do commissioned furniture and carving in my shop in Rollinsford, NH.
For more information you can look at Al’s Website:
https://www.allanbreed.com/about/

Back