SAPFM Gateway Spring Meeting a Success

Gerald

Wow what a great day!  

I wish that I could take credit for the success but the truth is all I did was show up and enjoy myself.  The thanks belongs to Cal Hobbs, the chapter coordinator who did most of the work and planning.  Unfortunately Cal had a death in the family and had to fly out to North Carolina early Saturday morning.  Still it was nice to see him again Friday night at the Schneithorst for beers and German brats.  Please keep Cal in your thoughts and prayers.  I'd also like to thank Kent Atkins our gracious host, for once again inviting us into his shop and home; Mike Siemsen of www.schoolofwood.com our main presenter for bringing his wealth of information and experience all the way from Minnesota (where I'm told they don't actually say things like "Ya, sure ya betcha." So there's that then.); Wayne Watson for all he's done from the very beginning to make everything possible; Ron Bontz of www.bontzsawworks.net for showing us his great saws.  Of course the best way to thank Mike is to become a student at his school or a customer of www.greenlakeclock.com.   Likewise with Ron, buy one of his great saws.  We will be thanking David Conradsen, our docent and curator at the St. Louis Art Museum, by making him an honorary member of SAPFM.   Hopefully we will be welcome back again in the future with even greater access.

Most of all, I want to thank all of you who attended.  As always it was great to catch up with old friends and great to make new ones.  I especially want to thank those of you who brought show-and-tell and those who drove from Chicago, Kansas City and other distant lands.  Finally I'd like to thank those of you who are not already members of SAPFM but joined us anyway.  I encourage you to visit www.sapfm.org, learn more of what it's all about.  I hope this weekend, people and the organization will inspire you to become an active member.  We are just one of 15 chapters across the nation.  As a member of SAPFM you are always welcome to any event, anywhere, anytime.  I think you'll find the people (myself notwithstanding), publications, presentations and events of SAPFM first class in every respect.

I also want to encourage new and existing members to use the Gateway Chapter Forum (and all the topics in the forum) to connect with each other, make new friends, catch up with old friends, ask questions, offer advice, share your successes and failures etc.  And by all means share with the group what you would like future Gateway regional meeting to offer you and what you can offer in return.  If you are able to give a presentation, host an event, arrange a field trip, etc.  Let us know.  As I've said before, this group will only be what you want it to be if you help make it that way.  

Although the next St. Louis meeting is now a year away, it's not too early to start thinking about what to do.  I spoke briefly with Jan Null about possibly having it at the Daniel Boone Homestead (http://danielboonehome.com/) in Defiance, MO.  I can't think of a better location, although I challenge all of you to prove me wrong.  I'm calling out Jan to help make it happen.  Of course I'm here to help in any way I can.  And I'm calling out Cal Hobbs and the rest of the KC crew to continue their winning record of Fall meetings.  

Thanks again everyone!

Back