Roxbury Cornice

psanow

Apparently I'm following the crowd and also building a Roxbury-inspired clock.  While communicating with another member I was told that the grain should run vertically in the arched cornice moulding.  I don't have a period example handy to examine but the photos I've looked at seem to show maybe a few running vertically and a some horizontal (and many others I can't determine).  I was a bit surprised by that as it would likely be cross grain with the arch framing behind.  Can anyone shed light on this?

I think of greater note is that the entire front elevation of the cornice appears in many examples to be one piece- arch and flats as one piece before returning around the sides.  Am I misreading a very tight and well blended joint?  See photo from Simon Willard piece at NYC Met Museum.  Similar from my photos of the Doull/Seymour clock.

I expect I'm using gouges and scrapers to make this.

Thanks
Paul Sanow

I just finished making five 1799 Aaron Willard Roxbury style cases. I had full access to the original which is in the city hall of Huntersville, NC. Four of the reproductions are in nearby Davidson, NC. I asked a similar question on the post prior to this one. The grain on this clock ran horizontally, I turned the cornice two at a time on the lathe, I then cut the miter on the turned cornice and on the straight blank, I traced the profile on to mitered end of the straight section and planed the straight section with hollows and rounds.

Back