Rococo Adam

Adam Cherubini

Don't let Rococo Jo have all the fun.  Rococo carving is fun and it was done in America to great effect.  It was not always "muted" as some who don't personally like the style have claimed.  The fact is, it's harder to do than the "muted" and more stylized stuff that many colonies produced (New York, New England etc).   The best of it is probably found in Philadelphia where only the best shops attempted it.  In it's highest form (their values, not mine) it was highly representative and 3-dimensional.  

But here's the kicker-  It's not actually that hard to do!  Jo talks about the "impossible chair" but that doesn't mean all Rococo is impossible. I'm not good at it.  This is my first attempt.  And I'm not looking for congratulations here.  Just saying- here's a sample:  It's fun.  You can do it.  Give it a try.  

Rococo Adam

Looks pretty darn good to me Adam!  Is this the chair from your series in PWW?  I've been following that.  I took a chair class from a well know maker and teacher a few years ago.  The chair turned out ok, but I didn't really learn how to make a chair.  I've enjoyed following along.

I'd like to try carving a knee sometime.  I favor a bit less than Rococo.  I've got a copy of Mack Headley, Jr.'s article in FWW from many years ago that I may try and follow. 

Tony

Adam, Carve one thats good? But? You cannot do another?? Just show e’m lad,it’s nice to see competion, but remember one thing: Thomas Chippendale never drew a ball & claw foot, to copy. looking forward to seeing more of your work. Well done.

Rococo Joseph  

Sorry? just dosent have that Ring ? rococo jo.

Hey thanks Jo.  Hey you know what's cool about this leg?  The guy who carved the original, we don't know his name, was undoubtedly and Englishman.  See that little raised line on the side of the leg?  This was a typical feature on English legs and was depicted by Chippendale.  It ran down the leg and became part of the scroll foot.  So this chair (I copied a specific chair) was made by an Englishman who basically made the same leg and knee carvings he was accustomed to, but just killed off that raised bead before it got to the ball and claw, which may have been required for Philadelphians.  They must have liked teh ball and claw.  I do too!

Adam

Adam, I need to state one thing here?  “I Do”? Like, The ball & claw foot myself, just stating one fact, it was derived long before Chippendale’s time in business.
it’s strange? Because a product has a certain look, Rococo, it’s claimed the style? Must have been designed by the world Famous Man?:Chippendale Just alittle research will find it was used along time before Chippendale, in the walnut period.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to explain this fact.  

Joseph

Adam Cherubini said:
Don't let Rococo Jo have all the fun.  Rococo carving is fun and it was done in America to great effect.  It was not always "muted" as some who don't personally like the style have claimed.  The fact is, it's harder to do than the "muted" and more stylized stuff that many colonies produced (New York, New England etc).   The best of it is probably found in Philadelphia where only the best shops attempted it.  In it's highest form (their values, not mine) it was highly representative and 3-dimensional.  

But here's the kicker-  It's not actually that hard to do!  Jo talks about the "impossible chair" but that doesn't mean all Rococo is impossible. I'm not good at it.  This is my first attempt.  And I'm not looking for congratulations here.  Just saying- here's a sample:  It's fun.  You can do it.  Give it a try.  

Adam, since 1759 one design by Thomas Chippendale, an etching of his 1762 Director,  has been shelved by all  as Impossible to create? these are  not my words, its folk law in England,  I  created  a pair. because the  experts calmed one was a fluke?  you had the same said to youself, remember.

hoping this explains the termination.
                                                            Joseph Hemingway

Back