Resources for Making Bandings?

mikecyros

I have been searching for some time for a good resource (book, website, etc.) on how to make various inlay bandings / patterned stringing, particularly some of the more complex patterns. Jeff Green's book American Furniture of the 18th Century has some basic techniques covered on page 171. Any suggestions for more in-depth coverage of this topic? Thanks!

Mike,
I too have been looking for a long time. I think this is just a small area with limited interest. I have only found one book on making inlays and didn't find it that good of a book. It is still packed away after our move 2 years ago.

There have only been a few articles etc. writen on the subject in various ww mags. These are about the best source.

Also if you go to www.tchisel.com and search around for his videos you'll find some on making a simple banding as well as some of the jigs commomly used for cutting the banding etc. Search around for crazy leg table. He also has a full video series on making a Bombe secretary.

Hello,

Well I am pretty confident I that I can show you how to make some of these bandings.  If you are interested then please email me @ [email protected].  Also Phil Lowe teaches a banding class in the summer for one week long that runs from 9-4.  I am not sure if he is going to offer it this summer, but I would keep my eye open.  The website for Phil's is furnituremakingclasses.com. 
Cheers,
Freddy

Thanks for the feedback ttalma & Freddy.  Imagine my surprise this morning when I found an email in my inbox from Finewoodworking.com (I'm a subscriber) with the subject "eLetter: Rare photos of museum-quality inlay: Inspiration to make your own banding". I thought, wow, the SAPFM forum really has some strong influence, maybe even some divine intervention!  For those interested, here's a link to this particular "e-letter": http://finewoodworking.taunton.com/item/7075/inlay-banding-and-buffard-freres. By the way ttalma, I spend a lot of time in airplane seats for work, and fill the idle time with t-chisel's podcasts, they are indeed helpful, and I find his quirky ways (I'm a Boston-born native also so I can relate to him perfectly!) inspiring to those who lack self-confidence in their own skills.

I did speak with Phil Lowe a couple of weeks ago, and he is considering offering the week long banding class again this summer, and that's high on my list if he does offer it again.  Freddy, I'll get in touch - thanks for your offer!  Best Regards, ...mike

Phil Lowe will be giving a class on making inlay banding this summer. It is a week long class and he is located in Beverly. If you can spare the time it will save you a lot of effort. Check his website for the updated schedule which should be available shortly

http://www.furnituremakingclasses.com/index.html

Quite a few months back in this post, I asked about a good source book for producing inlay bandings for Federal-style furniture, and it is evident that few books cover the subject in any depth. There was one out of print book that several recommended (with mixed feelings about the success of the book at its subject) called Inlay Banding and Design Book. It was published by LVI Publications. Well, surprisingly enough, LVI Publications has now produced a 3rd edition of this book, and it was just released for sale this week.  But, welcome to the digital age, it is only available on CD-ROM. You can purchase the CD book at the following link: http://www.lvipublications.com/inlay-banding-book.htm

Again, I've heard mixed feelings about the book, but I ordered a copy which should arrive in a few days, time-depending, I'll post again with my thoughts about this edition. Has anyone else ordered it yet?  Or, once again, any other sources that you recommend?

Hello Mike and all,

Perhaps everyone knows this reference, but I'll mention it just in case.  This is not a 'how to' resource, but it does show some actual Federal period designs that you may not come across elsewhere.  The book is the Winterthur publication "American Furniture--The Federal Period". 

I found the book a little disappointing overall, but it has one redeeming feature that (for me) is worth the price.  There are two large color pages of Stringing and Banding patterns, and 4 large color pages of Pictorial Inlays, paterae and leg ornamentation such as bellflower patterns. 

Each of the patterns shown on these 6 pages of plates is referenced to a specific piece of furniture.    The color printing is good enough, so that if you know the 'how to', these plates show you authentic patterns.  For both the Stringing and Banding, and Pictorial Inlays, the designs are grouped into 4 regional categories:  Coastal Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island;  Connecticut and Connecticut Valley;  New York and New Jersey;  and Pennsylvania and Maryland. 

Caveats:  For each design, the reference piece of furniture is in the Winterthur book;  there is some text identifying and describing each piece of furniture, but the photos of the pieces of furniture are usually B/W, and too small to see what the design actually looks like on the piece.  But the color plates showing closeups of the designs are--in most cases, but not all--good enough to work from.  I would say that all of the stringing and banding patterns are good enough to work from;  but some of the paterae are so complex that the color photo doesn't quite get it.

I count about 85 stringing and banding patterns overall, and 43 pictorial inlays. 

One other item....The recent April 2010 'Woodworking' magazine (produced by Chris Schwarz at Popular Woodworking) references a video done by Rob Millard, where he shows you how to make a cuff-banding which some may find stunning (I did).  The video is found at http://tinyurl.com/ylx957b.

Wiley Horne

Back