Repair of cracked leg on QA highboy

flyfisher111

I have been asked to repair a cracked rear leg on a 1790 vintage Queen Anne highboy in a historic site.  It was appraised at a price that gives me pause, and I have delayed for several years, waiting for written agreement. 

The leg is currently stable, but volunteers cracked it by moving it (they just cannot leave things alone) and we suspect it will become worse. 

My thinking is to lift off the top, remove drawers and turn it upside down.  Then gently flex the crack open and inject warm hide glue into the crack.  I am confident that this will hold, assuming we can get enough glue in.

One side is also cracked, but it was stabilized long ago with a cleat and I choose to leave it alone.

While I do want this piece to be repaired, I am hesitant.  'Can' is not 'should.'  I suppose what I am really asking is a polite way to say "no."

Any advice? 

If I were you I would shy away from this repair. If you make the repair and it fails and the highboy falls over will the museum sue you? Even if your agreement/contract states that you will not be responsible they may still come after you. And remember, home owners insurance does not cover your business work. You must have business ins. I did when I had my woodworking business. Just my professional opinion.
Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs (retired)

Back