Recent Project New Topic

John McAlister

Some time ago I mentioned building a tansu (as in Japanese) table for a daughter. If I can I'm going to print a couple pictures and invite comment.
My thoughts: it's ugly but was interesting to build.
John McAlister

John,

No table that is lovingly made for a daughter can possible be ugly.

I have furniture made for me by someone close who is now very old, and I am glad I will have it to remember him by after he is gone; flaws and all.

It is just a different type of beauty.

Karl

Karl, My daughter does indeed think it's beautiful. But it's hard for me to get past saying it's interesting! For instance the legs look upside down to me! But it does sort of grow on you.

Attached here is the 3rd and last picture!

John McA

Attachments

• Margs table 10.JPG
    Margs table 10.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 66
John:  I think the legs are upside down.....just kidding. It's beautiful !

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

David, They really are upside down in my mind too! But that's the way they looked in the picture I went by. 18th Cent. American they aint!! Hope they dont recall my Cartouche!!! John McAlister

Jeff, Thanks. It does sort of grow on you but for something to go in my own house, that I'd look at every day; give me sexy cabriole leg or a gracefully tapered Hepplewhite leg; any day. Every day!
John McA.

I suspect that more of us than want to admit it find ourselves appreciating American period furniture whilst others in our lives, including the younger ones, roll their eyes at us.

When I was a whippersnapper, I built "contemporary" furniture of walnut a la scan, Herman Miller, etc and wondered why those old fuddie duddies liked the stuff with curves, carving, and moldings.

Fifty years after whipperdom I live amongst American period furniture, and wonder what I was thinking. The only problem is that none of my kids have any interest in inheriting the period stuff; hope I can live long enough for them to change their tastes.

Karl

John,
It's elegant in its own way.  A lot of design elements and nice proportions that have also stood the test of time.  And a daughter's opinion is the only one needed.  I'd prefer this to my daughter's request for Mission pieces.
Harlan

Back