Question about desk top supports

al Spicer

I’m building a Seymour tambor desk and I can’t figure out how the desk top supports properly support the top and keep it level. When the desk top is open there will be a gap between the supports and the top by the thickness of the rail. (see photo below) Does anyone know how they got the top to sit level on the supports? I would like to know how it was done on the original. Any help would be appreciated.

Al

Attachments

• lopper.jpg
    lopper.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 44
Al,

I believe there is a molding affixed to the bottom of the fold-out writing surface that wraps around the tambour cabinet. It is mitred, but not glued (of course). This molding is the same thickness as the top drawer divider. When the writing surface is opened, the molding acts as a spacer between the top and the loper to keep things level. I'm not sure, but there must be felt glued to the top edge of the loper to protect the molding.

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I have seen desks with the molding affxed as you described, but the desk I am building doesn't have any molding on the fold down top. (see attached photo) Hopefully someone in this group will know the secret as to how it was done back then.

Thanks,

Al

Attachments

• desk front.jpg
    desk front.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 48
Al,
Do you have a side view. there very well could be a molding that doesn't show up in the photo.
Mike

Al,

I'm afraid I haven't followed your question in detail to be able to comment but Rob Millard has plans available for a Tambour ladies desk. Possibly,  Rob can shed some light on your issue.

http://americanfederalperiod.com/Desks.html

Stephen Stidd

Sorry,Al, After a rethink.
Al, The fall (Desk top) is hinged; with: Table Fap hinges, (long and short, hinge flaps). to under top. (The fall thickness equalling the thickness of the under top, and top carcasing rail) the top when opened is then laying flat.
My advise is correct now.
                                                                  Joseph Hemingway
                                                                      Sharing the tricks of the trade

Attachments

• hinge flap.jpg
    hinge flap.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 40
Mike,

Yes, Yes, now I see it! You are correct. I thought that molding was attached to the case not the flip down top.  Mystery solved.

Thanks all,

Al

Back