Quality control

Jeff L Headley

All of our pieces receive a final inspection and field testing before either delivery or sending off for upholstery. And No we will not use leather on this piece. You don't want to see the rejects. No bull. What do you think she found? A problem with the grain!
Please remember we use Elmer's white glue not hyde glue. We don't want problems with the help.
Have you herd the rumors we might offer this as a class next year. I think we have one participant. Please wear your boots because when we cover a piece it gets deep.
Don't be a coward join SAPFM today where else can you get information like this.  

With this being a wing chair I guess I picked the wrong help. I went a fowl by not asking for the right help to begin with. OK I chickened out. Maybe our fair feathered friends wouldn't have been so critical. Although their attention to the grain might not be any less conciliatory. My father always said that a good cabinetmaker learns from their mistakes. Here is just a little bull and a better picture of the pull strips in case anyone was wandering aimlessly. I live in Clarke County, Virginia, a quaint drinking community with a farming problem.  Located an hour west of Washington DC without any broad band access.

HOLY COW! very nice chair! she's probably thinking this seating device is a bit small for her and needs some more work!

Mark, The one pictured is full size ( I know it doesn't look like it but we grow big cows. It's the Virginia Grass) which we keep on hand. I do have another ladies wing chair which is smaller and a Chippendale with different feet and arms (out and around then down). It is so much easier to build one when you have one to go by. My memory never was the greatest. Any we build can go either way- modern, with springs or just webbing and hair depending on our clients preference. Why burn a bridge.

Jeff,
The reason I ask is that I'm curious about the transition between the inside wing and outside wing fabric panels. Typically you see welting at the seam between the two panels which in this case would follow the outside corner of each wing. Does the upholsterer terminate the welting under the horizontal arm scroll?

Mark, The bottom would be covered first then the inside sides, with welting dividing the two inside sections, top and bottom (is this the transition you meant?) then the inside back. With the outside back and sides wrapped with welting then a sewn in cover. Poplar works well to tack to and won't fracture along the grain like oak. Please realize it has been years since we have offered upholstery in house. Upholstery is an art into itself. A good upholsterer, just as a good finisher, can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Back