Portable Slope Writing Desk - The "Laptop" of the 18th Century

Ronnie Young

Does anyone know of 17th or 18th period American maker of Slope Writing Desks similar to Thomas Jefferson's portable writing desk that has appeared in several publications? I am interested in making one of the more complicated types, with lots of hidden compartments, as seen in the portable English made slope desks.This may be a uniquely English form unknown in America.

Ronnie:

There was an interesting Lap Desk discussed at the 2016 Winterthur Furniture Forum. Check out:

http://museumcollection.winterthur.org/single-record.php?resultsperpage=20&view=catalog&srchtype=advanced&hasImage=&ObjObjectName=&CreOrigin=&Earliest=&Latest=&CreCreatorLocal_tab=&materialsearch=&ObjObjectID=&ObjCategory=&DesMaterial_tab=&DesTechnique_tab=&AccCreditLineLocal=&CreMarkSignature=&recid=1997.0018 A&srchfld=&srchtxt=1997.0018&id=4a8e&rownum=1&version=100&src=results-imagelink-only#.WQiT54WcHGg

There are many photo views of the object at this link, but little textual info. This object has inlays for something like 24 different wood species. I checked my notes and cannot determine if this box was made in America. Via email I will send contact information for the speaker, who is still at Winterthur.

Dale

I have a writing desk that's similar, all mahogany construction and from the SC area.  It was my great grandparents and includes a drawer on the side which locks with a pin that can be removed when the desk is open.  I cannot prove it but believe it was made in South Carolina, possibly Charleston as that's where my relatives are from.  No maker's name on it, unfortunately.

Back