Philadelphia highboy

Justin D

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post, I have been a member for a couple of mouths now and just lurking around with no questions until now.  I am in the process of getting ready to build a Philadelphia highboy that is at the Winterthur Museum.  I was able to see it in person and one of the details that stuck out the most to me was the size of the ball and claw foot.  Most ball and claws come from a blank of around 2 3/4",  this foot was much bigger then that. How big I am not sure.  Would anyone know about what size they would have of used?

Justin,

You don't state which high chest you're looking at but I've got a casting of a foot from a Philly high chest that's in Chipstone that measures 16/4 (4"). I'd say it's probably typical. Anyone else want to chime in?

Craig

I've seen b&c as small as 2?" diameter on a lowboy and 2?" to 3?" on  highboys.  Some large highboys had 2?" b&c. I made a large highboy for a customer with 3?" b&c. I'd say use that ever material you have. I'm sure that is just what the 18th cabinet makers did.

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

Thanks for the quick reply guys, 
The name of the highboy is Van Pet Highboy.  In the picture I have of it the feet look normal proprotionally. But once I seen it in person they seemed to stick out to me the most as being larger in life then in the picture I have. 

The van pelt B&C are made from 16/4. You might want to give Gene Landon a call I know he has detailed pictures and some measurments of the Van Pelt.

There is also a highboy at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI that has 16/4 legs. boggled me at first, but I measured it to be sure.

Back