Philadelphia Furniture Workshop Open House Jan 30-31

Adam Cherubini

Alan Turner is hosting an open house at his shop in Germantown (Philadelphia PA) on January 30-31.

Sapfm members should not miss the opportunity to see Philadelphia Museum of Art Conservator Christopher Storb carve a Philadelphia ball and claw, tell you how to sharpen your gouges, and demo low relief carvings. 

Storb specializes in 18th c Philadelphia carvings, and is responsible for the carvings (can you say cartouche?) on several pieces in the museum's collection.  He's an outstanding carver and is the focus of my Arts and Mysteries column in this month's Popular Woodworking. 

In addition to being a fantastic carver, Storb knows Philly carvings possibly like no other.  If you have questions about whether rasps were used by Philadelphia 18th c carvers or what the toes look like on Affleck pieces, Christopher Storb is the guy to talk to. 

I'll be there doing stock prep work with traditional hand tools. Alan Turner will cover a variety of subjects including mortise and tenon joinery and Mario Rodriguez will cover dovetailing and veneering. 

Londonderry brasses will be on hand so you can find out why guys like Rob Millard won't use anything else.  Joel from Tools for Working Wood (www.toolsforworkingwood.com) will bring his new dt and carcass saws (which are very, very nice) and the World's only newly manufactured tradtional mortise chisels, the Ray Illes mortisers (get the 5/16" first).  This will be a great chance to try these before you buy.

This event was not originally conceived as a traditional woodworking event, but it sure is turning out that way!  If you find you need a break from tradition, Festool (whoever that is) will be there as will Harrellson Stanley and Jim Blauvelt to satisfy your Japanese tool jones.

I seriously would not miss this event.  I think it'll be worth a long drive and even a hotel room.  Storb alone makes it worth it in my mind.  Probably won't see him for free again.  I'm hoping to catch some of his presentations myself. 

Christopher Storb and I will only be there on Saturday, btw.  So if you are coming to see Storb, be sure to come on Saturday January 31st.

Details:
http://www.philadelphiafurnitureworkshop.com/view/show/pfw_open_house.html

Hope to see you there!

Adam Cherubini

Is the question when will Alan hold another class, when will I or when will Chris Storb?

Alan would be the best source of info on his shop.  I'm heading to Kelly Mehlers in 2 weeks to teach a basic 18th c technique class.  My understanding is that it is full.  I'll be in New York at the NWA showcase the following weekend.  Hoping to visit Mike Siemsen's shop month after next.  I'll probably try to squeeze in a local ww group in April if anyone will have me.

Storb and I will be doing a thing for the Art museum in a Fairmount Park home on April 26.  I'd certainly recommend that.

Adam

Back