Pennsylvavina Walnut Cupboard

edmakepeace

Mark Arnold's plans on the SAPFM website caught my attention. Yet, it is not in my DNA to duplicate anything without considering a couple of revisions. I would like to eliminate the framed flutings on the face frame and replace them with fluted quarter columns. If I do that would the straight bracket feet be appropriate or should I go with shaped ogee bracket feet? Seems like straight feet are not wrong, but I have to think that fluted quarter columns represent a more formal Chippendale, and that straight feet with the exposed dovetails would probably produce a less formal look. Any opinions?

Ed, with your DNA I suggest you use whichever foot you want to.  I would agree that the ogee bracket foot is somewhat more refined; as is the fluted quarter column. I don't see on Marks plans whether this is a copy of a period piece or the results of his DNA! That might be the deciding factor.

Are you wanting to accurately copy a period piece, or just make a pretty piece with 18th century features? If it's the former; no significant changes would be appropriate.  If it's the latter; whatever you want would be appropriate.

I suspect I haven't helped much!

John McAlister

Ed,

If you look at a lot of Pennsylvania case pieces, it seems that your instincts are correct.  There is a tendency to have ogee bracket feet with fluted quarter columns.  This is not absolute, and there will be those who can give examples of other combinations.  I hope they will, it's been a little dead on this forum recently.  PSP

John and Peter,
Thank you for your reply. You both said what I wanted to hear. John, I don't expect to ever duplicate a reproduction. I want to make a piece that looks exactly like the original that didn't survive the past 250 years. Peter's instincts about ogee bracket feet adding the more refined look to go along with fluted quarter columns makes sense. Thank you both!

Back