Peach State Chapter of SAPFM Fall Event Sept 10-11 - Chair Making

jprconsulting

We are pleased to announce the fall dates for the Georgia Peach State Chapter of SAPFM meeting dates-- September 10-11, 2011 at the Roswell, Ga Woodcraft location.

Jim Conley of the Virginia chapter will do a program on chair making.  Jim has given this talk at the Virginia chapter meeting and at the Ohio River valley 2010 fall meeting.
It was very well received and appears to be an in depth study.  You can see photos and other information from that meeting on the SAPFM forum.

We will feature Jim as the main presentation at this event so that he can expand his talk to cover in as much detail as the two day event allows.

Taking the information from the fall forum report on the meeting:
"The second presentation covered a number of topics on the reproduction of an arm chair by Jim Conley (David Conley's dad).  These included how to take measurements, make patterns from rubbings, and make molds of carvings from
an original chair in addition to general construction tips.   The
demonstration started off by laying a piece of paper under a chair and using a plum bob, Jim accurately locates the various joints.  From the plan view and a leg template, you will now be able to accurately locate and draw the incline of the back legs in a profile view.  Next, Jim showed how he developed his templates for the various parts by placing paper over the chair and rubbing it with a pencil, including carvings.  The last neat trick was how to make your own carving molds from an original.  For this, Jim kneaded regular modeling clay until it was soft and pliable.  He then pressed it into the carving and then gently removed the mold.  To preserve the impression, he poured plaster of paris into the mold.  This model will not be perfect, but it will give you an accurate representation of the carvings (heights of each elements, shape, and boldness, how the carvings are blended together and curvatures for carving gouges).  Just make sure you have permission first and that you wax the surface before applying the clay.
The clay will leave behind a little bit of residue behind."

We will have other talks, but they will be shorter presentations with details to be determined later.

This year we will make each day a little shorter, as we over did it this spring and wore everyone out.

We are hoping to have Jim give a slide show on Friday night, as well as offering a member show and tell experience.

You can see photos of Jim's presentation at the forum at:
http://www.sapfm.org/forum/index.php?topic=1527.0

Here is the finalized agenda for our meeting in September

Ken

Friday night

7:00-8:30 Jim Conley slide show and tell

Saturday

8:30-9:30 Arrival and check in

9:00-9:30 Social time, meet and greet, set-up show and tell

9:30-10:00 Introductions:  welcome, members intro self and state their interest, announce lunch plans

10:00-11:30 Chair Layout, home made nails/screws: Jim will discuss line layout, making rubbings and clay models (Jim Conley)

11:45-12;30  Lunch

12:30-1:00 Show and tell

1:15-2:15 Chair design and construction- David Coker Chair

2:30-3:30 Chair design considerations and use of hand planes and their restoration (Jim Conley)

3:30-4:00 Show and tell continues

4:00-4:15 Discuss plans for next meeting

4:15 adjourn for the day

Dinner in groups on your own

Sunday

9:00-9:30 Arrive, meet and greet

9:30-11:00 Chair construction (Jim Conley)

11:15-11:30 SAPFM Mid-year Event review (Jim Milam)

11:30-12:30 Lunch

12:30-1:00 Show and tell

1:00-1:15 break

1:15-2:30 Jim Conley final session - group discussion

2:30-3:00 Wrap up any final show and tell

Hello,

I am a member of the forum and am interested in joining the Peach State chapter. I restore furniture in my spare time and am working to build my skills up to take on more challenging period pieces. I have questions regarding the upcoming meeting.

Can I join now and attend the Fall meeting? Is space still available, and is there a cost for the Fall meeting?

Thanks,

Ron Jones

Attempted to email you, but your email is hidden.

Yes, you can join and attend.  I recommend you sign up for SAPFM on line.  You can however, sign up day of our event.

There is a small fee to cover the travel expenses for Jim to and from the event.  To register you need to be a member (or include your membership application with fee), and send a check to me. 

Details on submitting payment must be handled off this forum.

You can contact me by signing in and looking up my profile.

Ken Johnson

Hello Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I was unaware my email was hidden; I have not been a member for long. I am still working out details with my schedule to see if I can attend the Fall meet. I would love to but it unfortunately falls a couple weeks prior to my wedding. there are still a number of details to work out with vendors.

It seems like a very education and fun time to get together with other woodworkers in the area. I will be sorry if I miss it, but I will look forward to the next meet.

Thanks again,

Back