Old Glue

bbaker143143

I know I'm not the first person to pull a bone head move like this. I veneered several panels back in the spring with Titebond Hide Glue. After several months the veneers pulled loose. I checked the bottle and the glue was over a year out of date. In the trash. Is there a way to repair / save the panels? Can I wipe the old glue off with warm wet rags, re-glue on top of the bad glue, sand off, or just start over with new veneers and new glue?
Thanks

Bob Baker

First off, I have never tried this.
One of the things that is always touted about hide glue is the repairablity. That you dont need to remove the old glue.
So, one should be able to simply apply fresh hide glue and reglue the loose veneer.
Think of it as antique repair rather than as a failed glue joint.

Let us know how things turn out.

Bob,

In my experience when you have a "failure" of a chemical component of our craft (ie. glue or finish) it is best to do all you can to remove all the failed material and start over with a brand new batch of whatever.  I always find that any remainder on the wood seems to "corrupt" the new material and when I try to save it the result is a frustrating mess.  I would try to save the panels with the wet towels (I would heat them with my old steam iron, which really dissolves the glue).  Let everything dry out for a few days (it takes me a while to calm down anyway).  Then, start over with everything fresh.   PSP

Thanks to everyone for your advise. I stripped what was left of the veneers and stringing off. I was able to save the fan inlays. Sanded and scrapped everything down and started over with new veneers and new old brown glue.

Thanks
Bob

Back